Menu

Fast tracking RightStart Math?

I am just now getting started with RS for our two. And while this may not quite answer your question, I will try to address the "least expense" aspect. I am starting them both in B so I found used teacher and student books on here actually for about $30 less than new. As for the manipulatives, I can get most of those cheaply elsewhere. The things I will buy directly from RS, if I can't find them used here or elsewhere, are obviously the AL Abacus(and I read that the cheaper plastic one is better)and the Math Games book.

Again, I realize this may not be exactly what you are looking for but I zero'd in on the $$$$ saving aspect of your post. :D

If you don't want to do the whole program I'd just get the Math Card Games book which is around $25. The book does come with Level C package but I bought it early to have on hand and the games in the Level B book all seem to be in the Math Card Games book.

For the card game book you'll need 6 sets of cards to go with it- basic number cards, money cards, multiplication cards, fraction cards, corner cards, and clock cards.

And you'd also need the abacus.

I want the games. I have one dc (2nd grader) who may need them. If I were starting from scratch and using the games for a 2nd and 3rd grader (who is super strong in math and in Singapore 3B with ease), where would I begin? What is the least expensive course of action?

Tina,

Do you really want the whole program, or just the games? You can buy just the games book, and it is organized by what math is being done (addition, subtraction, etc...), so you can add it to any program.

If you want to whole thing, then I would recommend B. They will probably be able to do two lessons a day from B to D. But Singapore 3 is when they finally get around to place value, and I think at that point many Singapore kids can easily do the problems, but there is a danger in the child not understanding the importance of place value in how easy the problems are. RS B nails place value up to 9 digits. It also teaches multiple addition strategies not just base 10 (though it does also teach that).

My oldest was 3rd grade and probably in book 3A when we started RS. She did B-D at double pace, E at normal pace and is now doing RS Geometry. She went from hating math to....well she still doesn't like it, but she knows she can do it, she likes RS and she no longer hates math.

Heather

Tina,

Do you really want the whole program, or just the games? You can buy just the games book, and it is organized by what math is being done (addition, subtraction, etc...), so you can add it to any program.

If you want to whole thing, then I would recommend B. They will probably be able to do two lessons a day from B to D. But Singapore 3 is when they finally get around to place value, and I think at that point many Singapore kids can easily do the problems, but there is a danger in the child not understanding the importance of place value in how easy the problems are. RS B nails place value up to 9 digits. It also teaches multiple addition strategies not just base 10 (though it does also teach that).

My oldest was 3rd grade and probably in book 3A when we started RS. She did B-D at double pace, E at normal pace and is now doing RS Geometry. She went from hating math to....well she still doesn't like it, but she knows she can do it, she likes RS and she no longer hates math.

Heather

Heather,

I'm thinking I only need the games. I spoke with a local user and she will loan me her game book. I'm thinkin' the $50 for the entire game pack will do the job. I've been working hard on "decomposing" and "composing" and that is helping. I pull out the MUS manipulatives and we are visualizing everything for the one who needs it. My other one, the third grader, is driving me nuts b/c he does EVERYTHING mentally! Showing work is like pulling teeth for him. He is finally able to verbally tell me what he's doing, so half of the time, I write what he says. This modeling is helping him to understanding how to write what he thinks...but whew! It is exhausting.

I think the games will make a fun addition to our week. I also think it will reinforce our fact learning. I was blown away by my friend's dc. They could whiz out mental math like nobody's business. It was pretty amazing.

Is there any reason why just doing the games would be a bad idea?

Heather,

I'm thinking I only need the games. I spoke with a local user and she will loan me her game book. I'm thinkin' the $50 for the entire game pack will do the job. I've been working hard on "decomposing" and "composing" and that is helping. I pull out the MUS manipulatives and we are visualizing everything for the one who needs it. My other one, the third grader, is driving me nuts b/c he does EVERYTHING mentally! Showing work is like pulling teeth for him. He is finally able to verbally tell me what he's doing, so half of the time, I write what he says. This modeling is helping him to understanding how to write what he thinks...but whew! It is exhausting.

I think the games will make a fun addition to our week. I also think it will reinforce our fact learning. I was blown away by my friend's dc. They could whiz out mental math like nobody's business. It was pretty amazing.

Is there any reason why just doing the games would be a bad idea?

Sounds good! The only problem you will probably have is choosing out games. E-mail me with what topic you are covering and I can recommend some. Even the RS TM's don't schedule all the games in the book, so it can be a little overwhelming.

Heather

As for the manipulatives, I can get most of those cheaply elsewhere. The things I will buy directly from RS, if I can't find them used here or elsewhere, are obviously the AL Abacus(and I read that the cheaper plastic one is better)and the Math Games book.

Rainbow Resource carries the AL Abacus for $10 (it's $20 on the RS website). It is the same exact abacus that comes in the RS set. I have both the RS A set and an extra abacus purchased from RR (so I wouldn't have a fight over abacuses), and they are both the AL Abacus. :)

I think all the manipulatives were cheaper at RR.

Rainbow Resource carries the AL Abacus for $10 (it's $20 on the RS website). It is the same exact abacus that comes in the RS set. I have both the RS A set and an extra abacus purchased from RR (so I wouldn't have a fight over abacuses), and they are both the AL Abacus. :)

I think all the manipulatives were cheaper at RR.

ooohhh I'll have to check that out!