Menu

AAS question...

carrie_irene

I just got my AAS 1 set. Totally excited. :lol: And I know it is a perfect fit for Dd who is 5 in July. It will dovetail nicely with where she is at in her phonics/reading instruction without too much reviewing. She is just beginning the /sh/ and /th/ blends.

My question is my Ds, who is 6 in May. He is reading well. He knows all the phonograms from AAS 1 and nearly all the shaded ones too (assuming those are level 2?). Anyway, to do level 1 would be some serious review.

Can/should I start with level 2? Or is level 1 important to get the "system" down? He seems to be a pretty decent speller (hard to tell at 5 years old), so I hate to "bore" him with needless review, but I will totally gun through level 1 with him if that makes the program more successful.

Thanks!:bigear:

I don't know if my DD is just a natural speller or what, but we flew through AAS 1 too. We did about three steps a week and then moved on. You might see if you could do that with your DS. See if he just flies through the first book just to make sure.

My question is my Ds, who is 6 in May. He is reading well. He knows all the phonograms from AAS 1 and nearly all the shaded ones too (assuming those are level 2?). Anyway, to do level 1 would be some serious review.

Can/should I start with level 2? Or is level 1 important to get the "system" down? He seems to be a pretty decent speller (hard to tell at 5 years old), so I hate to "bore" him with needless review, but I will totally gun through level 1 with him if that makes the program more successful.

We just got AAS as well and my DS is similar to yours...he's reading and knows the phonograms, etc but it's still really good review for him. There are some rules and other things covered that have been beneficial. We are going fairly quickly through it to avoid the boring.

I would start at level 1 and do it together with both of them. Or do the lessons with DD and have him sit in on the lessons to hear/review, kwim?

Thanks, Ladies, for your input. I was kinda leaning towards doing level 1, but sometimes it seems that once they have the hang of something, going back and taking a different spin on things can be confusing. But I think doing level 1 will set us up to be that much more successful through the whole program.

Thanks again!