Menu

Tips on picking a math curriculum for kindy/1st?

Pookamama

There's so many out there! I'm a bit overwhelmed. So far I've heard people raving about Math U See, CLE, Singapore, and probably a few others I've forgotten. How do you figure out what is the best fit for your child?

Things to consider.....

-Your dc's (child) learning style. Does your dc seem stronger in math or language?

-Your teaching style. Your math knowledge.

-Mastery or Spiral or Incremental preferences. And, within these labels, each curriculum varies. Some Mastery maths do have review, some do not. Spiral maths can be very deep(Saxon), others are more gentle.

-Long term goals-can the math you choose for Kindy take you through to Pre-Algebra? Kindy is easy to teach-but will you be able to teach the same curriculum when it comes to long division, fractions, decimals, etc.? Do you even like how it is taught at the older grades/levels?

-Dvd, Computer,manipulative, textbook, workbook-based? If the curriculum starts off as a workbook, but in 3rd grade it becomes textbook and the dc has to write his/her work on a separate paper-will that matter?

-Does the curriculum move fast, or is it average or behind? Do you have to be accountable to the state? Does your dc need a curriculum that is in line with Standardized Testing-or are you more concerned with the long term SAT/ACT?

-Check your local Public schools. Many districts have their grade objectives online. Does it matter if you stay inline with what PS is doing? Will your dc possibly enter PS at one point?

-Color, black and white or Two-toned?

-Lots of graphics, flashy pages,confusing computer screen?

-Conceptual or traditional? Can you use one as your core and supplement?

-Cost-overall. You have dc that are close in age-do you want something that can be used by just one child-or passed on to others?

Do your research. If you can, get to a Homeschool conference, or at least try to look at what other homeschoolers are using. Look at online samples.

Do not go with what seems popular-the math flavor of the year-just because you hear such great things about it.

Written by a math shopper/jumper.;) We've tried Miquon, Singapore, MUS, CLE, Saxon, Rod & Staff, Math Mammoth, BJU, dipped out toes in Right Start and Living Math.:glare::tongue_smilie:

There's so many out there! I'm a bit overwhelmed. So far I've heard people raving about Math U See, CLE, Singapore, and probably a few others I've forgotten. How do you figure out what is the best fit for your child?

It helps to know:

What your goals are. This is really important.

What approach you think will work for your child.

What approach you think will work for you.

And how much effort you are willing (or not willing) to put into the job.

Then you can make some educated guesses.

Bill