Menu

Seeking help afterschooling reluctant learners

Hi, everyone. I really want to afterschool my boys. They are both first graders. As anyone who has tried to sit down with first grade boys can tell you, it's a monumental task to get them to do their homework. The homework that the school says should take them 15 minutes actually takes them an hour or more. Every mom with a boy in their first grade says that their sons take the same amount of time. The girls seem to be operating more closely to the 15 minute standard.

Anyway, I digress....

I really need help on the math front. I started them on Math Whizz, which some here have suggested. It's pretty great but the guys are bored to death with it (after two weeks). They're not paying attention to the lessons and just clicking their way through to do what they have to do to get "credit" to play the silly arcade games at the end. They're completely missing the point. I've tried offering rewards but they're not biting. If I gave them Kumon worksheets, they'd see that as punishment.

Any thoughts on how I should re-jigger my approach? Maybe trying to do it afterschool and homework is too much? Thoughts? Suggestions?

THank you!

We do have time in the mornings, so I don't require anything of them in the afternoons beyond their little homework packets from school. They can usually finish those in a 30 minute sitting or less if they're focused. I also would have a hard time getting them to refocus after playing after school, and it seems I would then be occupied with dinner.

Mornings are perfect for us. It's just part of our routine (which is essential in the mornings) so there's very little dissent, and now that we've been "beforeschooling" for a few years, they can see very clearly the benefits to them in school. They're bright and confident and they know it's because they work hard.