Menu

pre-K workbooks and curriculum

fenni

I have experience with Kumon and Rod & Staff. Are there any other pre-K workbooks that are big hits? My almost 3.5 yr. old daughter loves workbooks, writing, drawing, etc. We just started ETC Primers. Big hit! She already knows her letters and sounds, but she likes the activities in these books. I am not one to push the little ones. Trust me. She gets mad if she doesn't have schoolwork to do. So trying to get some new books to have on hand. She already went through a big PreK book from Wal-mart. The information they want is really too easy for her, but she just loves doing the work.

which pre-K programs are open-and-go/easy to implement? We have been using Little Hands to Heaven. She loves it and I love how easy it is to implement. I need easy with 4 other kids, plus a baby on the way. Anyway, she will finish LHTH and I'm not sure I want to run through it again, but I really need open-and-go. Is there anything else out there that is so easy to implement?

Edited by fenni

I managed to find some Richard Scarry workbooks from the dollar aisle of Target and my son just LOVES these because he's a huge fan of Huckle and Lowly. Other than Kumon, these are the only workbooky things he will do.

Does it have to be pencil-to-paper writing stuff? We absolutely adore our MiniLuk for preschool work. I don't even know how to explain it (its German :001_smile:) but there are dozens of workbooks and you solve the problems by moving tiles around on a little plastic controller board. It's more a math/logic/puzzle thing but I love it because its self-correcting and requires no reading (at least for the young workbooks) - just 1-12 number recognition.

Sonlight P3/4 is an excellent program with tons of great stories. My children just LOVED it! We read through it in 2.5 months though. :) So maybe Sonlight's P4/5 would be a better fit.

For workbooks, Horizon has a preschool series. It is the same thing as Weaver Interlock for preschool, only put into workbook form. My son really enjoyed it.

We supplement with ACE (School of Tomorrow) paces.....my dd6 LOVES them because she can work on her own (for the most part) and every 25 pages gets a "NEW BOOK". They have a great K4/K5 program which incorporates reading/phonics with learning to write at the same time plus their math is colorful and fun yet enough repetition to ensure they know it......

We are using Rod & Staff but when she starts to get ansy - we switch to these paces or workbooks.....