Menu

Latin in the Christian Trivium... any users?

I am researching Latin programs and am really having a tough time making a decision here. I just discovered Latin in the Christian Trivium and it looks good. I love the Christian empasis.

My questions are:

Would this program work well if we have ZERO latin knowledge for a 13 and 12yo? Maybe even a 9yo tagging along?

Is this program pretty easy to use and understand?

Any pro's and con's?

Thanks!

My 8th grader used it this year for high school credit. Honestly, I'm not sure if a 9yo could keep up with the pace. I used Prima Latina and LC I with my kids when they were younger.

Pros: My dd likes the family approach to history and culture as opposed to all the dictators and bloody wars. The vocab was applicable to English derivatives. We signed her up for the on-line class.

Cons: Can be dry (I guess Latin is like that anyway!). I am not fond of the pronunciation CD's, but I heard they were re-doing them.

It's pretty easy to follow and could be done with zero Latin knowledge.

Thanks Laura,

Yes, I figured it would be a bit too much for a 9yo. I will probably just do Latin for the older ones, and wait a few years for the younger one. I do know that I would not be able to handle teaching two different latin programs at once!

Thanks!

I'm currently taking a LitCT online class for myself. I agree that it would be too much for a 9 yo. Are you planning to sign them up for the online class? Are you planning to study with them? If not, it might be a little tough for your 12 & 13 yos too. I recommend that you email the author, who has always been very helpful, and ask about using it with your kids' ages.

If I understand correctly, the program is written for high schoolers, but it can be used with dc as young as 6th grade if they've studied Latin previously (such as with one of the elementary Latin programs). You could go slower, of course. However the chapters are meant to be covered in about 2 weeks each, so they present a chunk of information at once and then spend the two weeks studying and practicing those concepts.

Personally, for middle school students, I'd rather see the chapters broken into smaller weekly chunks to study and practice. As we progress through the book, I sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed with the variety of topics presented all at once in a new chapter, but then I'm fine as I get into it, study, and work through the exercises. My dd is finishing up LC2 this school year, and I was considering LitCT for next year (6th grade). With her background, she'd probably be ok, but I still think it would be better for her if the chapters were broken up into smaller steps with practice for each before continuing on.

I have had some questions as I've gone through the course. It's been good to have the teacher for answers, but these may be clear from the teacher's manual (which I don't have). I bet the author would be willing to answer any questions you have as you go through too.

I think the emphasis on translating a story and the Latin Bible is both a pro and a con. I like that the program doesn't focus as much on military themes (which may not appeal to my dd), but the Latin Vulgate is a translation -- so you're translating a translation. Since we're also studying Greek, this became a con for me.

Since you're researching programs, you may want to look at CAP's Latin Alive, which is written with middle schoolers in mind. This program is being piloted & edited now and is supposed to be available for purchase this month. Karenciavo from these boards has been using it this year and likes it. There are sample chapters posted and the author has answered any questions I've had via email.

HTH!

Profmom,

Thanks for your reply! The only other Latin exposure we have had is English from the Roots Up 1. So, they are really truly beginners. I did not know that LiCT was really for High School. Hmmm... Do you think it may be better to do a year of Latina Christiana or Latin for Children and then move on to LiCT?

Oh, and yes, I will be learning this with my children. I was planning on starting on something myself this summer, just so I can be ahead of my children.

Thanks again for any insight!!

Jennifer

Profmom,

Do you think it may be better to do a year of Latina Christiana or Latin for Children and then move on to LiCT?

I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to answer this question, but I'm sure that the LitCT author would be happy to advise you. She may even be able to help you with pacing the program so that it's right for your kids' ages.

It seems like most people would go with a high school program at a slower pace over one of the elementary programs with junior high dc. (Anyone else want to comment on that? :) )

My ds is 10, but he had previously done PL, LCI, and LCII. I believe that the suggested starting age as a true beginner for this program is 12 or 13. Meaning, someone who has not had any Latin exposure. I believe that volume 1 and the first five chapters of volume 2 constitute 1 year of high school Latin. My ds will finish up volume 1 this year and then move into volume 2 next year, spreading it over two years b/c he is younger.

My son has done quite well with this program and scored a 100% on the Intro. to Latin National Latin Exam.

I think your olders could start with it, but not a 9-year old with no Latin experience.

I emailed Mary from LiCT and she said this:

We wrote them when we were teaching 12 year old homeschoolers in San Jose...

Although they are suitable for this age, they are also accredited by the University of California

as a complete high school course.

I think your sons are "just right". And I never lie. Honestly

I think I feel much better now:)

This is such a tough decision!!!!! AARRGG!!!!!