Menu

Artistic Pursuits--question on where to start

m0mmaBuck

I'm looking at this curriculum for next year. I will have a K and 4th grader. I have never done any formal art/art appreciation with DS9. I am wondering if I should start with the series designed for K-3 for him (and combine the kids) or jump into the 4-6 grade series.

Or if you have other suggestions for art, I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks.

I think the K-3 book would be fine for your 4th grader. We have just recently picked it back up and I plan on continuing it into my dd's 4th grade year next year until we finish it. AP really just gives them a great jumping-off point to create their own masterpieces, so each kiddo can work to their own ability. Also, it would give him familiarity with a lot of the different mediums used like watercolor crayons, clay, and oil pastels.

If you decide to go with AP, my advice would be to gather all the supplies at the beginning and put each group into separate tubs. They have them listed nicely for you at the front of the book in groups and then tell you for each lesson which "group" you will need. Then you can just grab the tub and already have everything you need for that lesson. Doing this actually makes it get done at my house. :)

I think the K-3 one will be good for your ages too. In fact, I have heard some that even these books are pretty meaty for art, and are open to many different ages. I think I'll even do the projects with them.

Regarding which book, the 1st book is good with ancients, the 2nd with medieval times. I'm not sure about the 3rd, though.

When I look at AP on the RR site, it gives a bunch of suggested art supplies. Is it safe to assume that those are the supplies I will need or should I just wait until I get the book and buy according to the lists in the book? Or is there a better place to buy the supplies? Like I said before, a true art program is a new endeavor for us.

Also, do you think it will be confusing for my kids to do SOTW3 @ the same time we do AP K-3 book 1?

how often is recommended to do this program? Everyday? I'd really like to do this but really can't imagine being able to tackle it more than once, maybe twice, per week.

I was thinking 1-2 times/wk (probably more likely once) but since I'm new to it to, I have no real world experience with it.

I just checked out the RR site and the things they have listed with the K-3 book 1 are the same supplies listed in the book IIRC.

We use it once a week, on Saturday morning just because that's when we can get to it consistently. It really doesn't matter what time period you're studying, IMO. You get to study some great art pieces...and the kids really don't care if the time periods match up with your history, even if it may bother us mommas. :)

I just checked out the RR site and the things they have listed with the K-3 book 1 are the same supplies listed in the book IIRC.

We use it once a week, on Saturday morning just because that's when we can get to it consistently. It really doesn't matter what time period you're studying, IMO. You get to study some great art pieces...and the kids really don't care if the time periods match up with your history, even if it may bother us mommas. :)

Thank you!