Menu

At a crossroads: Continue HS'ing, or send to school?

Hello,

My kids are 10 and 8, in the 4th and 3rd grade. We've always homeschooled, but it's always been such a struggle, and not so joyful. My oldest daughter is a good student, she 'gets' it and does well, although, I do think she is not challenged enough and wants more 'friendships'. I get the attitude quite frequently with her. It's draining.

My son, well, it's been difficult from the beginning. Discovered over the last year he has CAP and currently doing FastForWord, and I also believe he has vision issues, and he'll get tested soon. I think, hope, he may rise to the occasion being accountable to someone other than mom.

We had them both tested 1.5 years ago, for other reasons, and daughter is at a level about 5 grades above what she's in, and son is at grade level. With that, I just don't seem to get everything done and feel I'm not giving them everything they need academically. I think they would both thrive in a different setting, away from me! The school we're considering is a charter school, smaller class sizes, and goes through 8th grade. It's definitely better than the traditional 'middle school' situation. We attended an open house, and I did get a good feeling about the school.

I worry mostly about my son with his issues. I know he's struggling with reading, spelling, comprehension, all the things that I think is vision related, and CAP related also. My thinking is that we're working on all these issues and he should make great gains by August.

Anyone else struggle with this decision????? I am really torn. I worry about the influences they will face, but I guess they will face them sooner or later. I just want what's best for them, and I sort of feel like our relationship is suffering because of me being their teacher.

Help with any words of wisdom and advice you may have!!!!!

Thank you!

Sarah

Honestly, I would worry about the kid who is accelerated more than the kid who is at grade level. School is designed for kids at grade level, kwim? I cannot imagine this school challenging your dd more than hs'ing can. If she isn't challenged, it's much easier to change what she's doing at home than at school, and you can work on ways to get her more involved with peers, group activities, etc as needed.

One thought - when did she turn ten? My August birthday 10 yr old is in the 5th grade. She may be ready for more logic stage work than you are giving her. Does she study any languages? Languages and other electives are a great challenge that add more to their studies, rather than just zipping them throught the basics.

Do your kids want to go? What are their reasons?

Thank you for replying.

We've only really discussed it with our daughter. She turned 10 in October. I think she is intrigued with the idea. Maybe they mostly wonder what it would be like, as it would be a new experience for them. We touched on some Latin, but really just ran out of time in the day. I work with her for about 4 hours in the morning, as she competes competitively in gymnastics. We could always alter that schedule to give us some more time for school.

I've always used SL with her. Maybe that needs to change. But, I really like it. She really likes it.

My son has a June birthday, and is a very young 3rd grader.

I go back and forth.

Thank you.

Sarah