Menu

Any good on-line classes for 8th grade?

Krista in LA

Still in my search for what to use with ds next year for 8th grade, I have decided to look into some on-line classes. Any suggestions? I don't need them for everything. My biggest concern is composition and literature, but I might consider US history and science as well. My main reason for this is he needs to be responsible to someone besides me, and I would also love someone different to evaluate his writing as it's lacking right now and I don't know what to do about it. There's a good chance he will be going to public high school and I want to be sure he is well prepared for it.

Thanks.

My 8th grade ds is currently taking his first on-line class. He is taking the Expository Essay class from Brave Writer and is LOVING it. He is really enjoying the teacher and the interaction from all of the other students. They all read EVERYTHING that is submitted by each student and all of the comments the teacher makes back to all students. We decided to try this first because it is about a 6 week course.

lt-tutorials.schools.officelive.com/

I highly recommend laurel tree tutorials. My 8th grader is taking Intro to Literature and my other middle schooler is taking Intro to Composition. Both classes have been great and Rebekah has been wonderful. I searched online writing classes for both of my kids for the same reason that you stated here, and these classes have fit the bill perfectly. Their writing has definitely improved; they we both sorely lacking in writing skills prior to taking these classes. The classes this year started in August and will finish up the end of April. In the comp class my son has written/ will write pesuasive essay, comparision essay, personal essay, short story, and Research paper (he has just submitted the research plan this week). They also do peer reviews on the rough drafts. In the lit class my son has written/ will write character analysis, research paper, imitation paper, group project (which was writing study guides on 2 short stories), comparison essay, analytical essay, and a second imitation paper( which I think is going to be poetry) They also do peer reviews and have weekly chats. This class also has a mid term and final exam. Rebekah, who teaches both class, has been great. She is very quick on feedback, grades, and answers question promptly.

My kids have enjoyed the classes with her, which is saying alot since neither one of them really likes to write. I have enjoyed having someone else handle it. I have enjoyed it and been impressed enough that Rebekah has a customer in me for the next several years.