Menu

skipping science and/or history

Are there any families who choose not to do science and/or history? My daughter is currently 11yr. 5th grader. I'm thinking of dropping these subjects temporarily. She had an axiety attack the other day, took her to ER etc., and until we figure out whats going on I want to make school a little lighter.

Thanks,

Adrienne

I have. My dd is 10 and in the 5th grade as well. Me dropping thoise subjects has more to do with me than her though. I've overburdened myself this year. I'm the new principal of our religious weekend school and I'm the head of the educational department of our religious center.

The other reason I dropped these courses is because I want to also work on my dd's ... god I can't find the right word. Its more like I want to get her more fine tuned in the other subjects which I feel are more inmportant before I add those two. I was planning on doing science and history during the summer.

Are there any families who choose not to do science and/or history? My daughter is currently 11yr. 5th grader. I'm thinking of dropping these subjects temporarily. She had an axiety attack the other day, took her to ER etc., and until we figure out whats going on I want to make school a little lighter.

Thanks,

Adrienne

Oh my goodness, I would definitely feel no guilt about dropping these for now! If I were in your shoes, I would. We haven't completely dropped these things for any length of time, but there are definitely days (sometimes days on end) where I just say, forget everything except having fun.

Isn't this a great reason why we homeschool. If science and History (or anything else for that matter) aren't working this year, then take a break. And try not to feel guilty ;).

We aren't skipping them, but for my 7th grader next year, we are really focusing on writing, so her chemistry will be more suited to the 2nd and 3rd grader. Because it isn't as important as some of the other things, but the other two would find school without science to be torture. :tongue_smilie:

We've had a rough year -- My dad died last month, following 6 really tough months that involved driving 300 miles to be with him every few weeks. My 11 yo ds is showing signs of stress (awake in the night, bad attitude, clingy). He definitely needs a break, and I'm giving him one. It's all about priorities. And maybe I'm fooling myself, but in 5th grade, what are they doing for history or science in public school anyway?

The children's well-being has got to be the first priority, so give yourself permission to do what your heart is telling you.

Peace,

Maura

Thanks,

Adrienne

there are those who would claim that any science done before one does advanced math should be just informal, unschooling type science. so.....I wouldn't fret too much about it. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

does she like reading stories of US, world, english history? most kids find the stuff in these books rather fascinating.

here are US history stories:

http://del.icio.us/cornopean/USstories

here are some stories of English history for young folk:

http://del.icio.us/cornopean/ElementaryEnglishHistory

china:

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=griffis&book=china&story=_contents

frankly, there are so many easy history and science oriented materials here.....that if you felt you should be doing something, you could just read a story or too from something here.

:auto:

Honestly, science is not my favorite subject but like many of us, science ranks top with my boys. History depending on how it is presented is also one we all enjoy. I have found The Story of US is one we all enjoy and we read as much as we like for the day and discuss. Nothing major. We also use Usborned Internet linked books for these subjects and the boys both love this.

This being said...I agree that this is one of the joys of homeschooling. We meet the needs of our family first. When I don't do this and try to more than I should...it comes back to bite me and we accomplish nothing. good luck

Thank you so much to everyone who replied. Reading your responses helped me feel so much better about leaving these subjects out or going lightly for a while. I guess I must be going through a little anxiety/stress myself because reading your responses almost brought tears to my eyes. Just knowing that there are people that I don't know accross the country/world that are willing to provide support for me is so beautiful. I've always been oversensitive.

Thanks again for responding so kindly.

Adrienne