Menu

Starting a 2nd foreign language

kchara

The more I read and research and learn about what other people and countries are doing, the more ambitious I get, I suppose. ;) We just started Latin. The kids are flying through Song School Latin, which was expected. My plan was to go through Prima Latina, and then perhaps introduce Song School Greek, and have them doing both at once? Does that make sense? Would it work? I see how many, many kids are learning multiple languages at the same time. How big of a gap do you use when starting the second, third, ect. language?

Its possible to do 2 foreign languages at the same time, but you have to plan and implement appropriately to get the best results. Of course, success depends on what you're aiming for. I'm aiming to build my way up to intermediate conversational skills in 3 languages (Spanish, Arabic and French).

I guess with Latin, conversation isn't all that important, I don't know what you want from Greek though.

Hopefully some other HSers with experience in this position will chime in.

Many people I know are trilingual and have learned through immersion, study, tutors, media, etc...

The more I read and research and learn about what other people and countries are doing, the more ambitious I get, I suppose. ;) We just started Latin. The kids are flying through Song School Latin, which was expected. My plan was to go through Prima Latina, and then perhaps introduce Song School Greek, and have them doing both at once? Does that make sense? Would it work? I see how many, many kids are learning multiple languages at the same time. How big of a gap do you use when starting the second, third, ect. language?

I didn't really have a gap although I have done exposure only in a language for awhile before moving into something more formal. I'm doing 3 modern and 1 ancient language concurrently.

Our goal is 3 ancient languages (Latin, Koine Greek, and Biblical Hebrew--I read somewhere that that is different from modern day Hebrew), and at least 1 modern language (Spanish), and DH is considering adding another (Mandarin) before they graduate. Most of mine are young, we have time, but a couple are middle-elementary. I want them to be able to read and translate writing in the Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, and at least exposure in the Spanish and Mandarin. We'll probably use Rosetta Stone for those two. Planning on Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek! for Greek, and not sure about Hebrew yet. Latin is SSL for the moment, and when they've got that down, moving on to Prima Latina, and Latina Christiana. I'm just not sure when to add the next languages in?