Menu

Spelling--Help! What to do with a natural speller?

Chaqar

I am struggling to choose and stick with a spelling program for my boys (4th and 2nd). Both are avid readers and natural spellers. HOWEVER, they do not have a good understanding of syllabication (but how important is that?). Also, when they read aloud they sometimes pronounce words incorrectly, and I wonder if that would be improved with a bit more phonics instruction via spelling (or maybe that is just normal?). I am wanting to fill in some phonics gaps that they never learned but ONLY IF THAT IS IMPORTANT. It doesn't seem to be holding them back. Is a thorough understanding of phonics and syllabication necessary?

Given their natural spelling tendencies, I do not want to spend much time on this at all. I'd like it to be independent. We do so many teacher-intensive things already, and I don't have time to spend on this area in which they don't seem to have much trouble anyway. So, maybe you can help?!?

We have tried Spelling Workout and it just seemed like busywork--am I wrong? R&S looks similar and I might try that, but I need to know if it is worth it.

I have Megawords and, while I like the material, it requires a bit too much of me and has too much repetition for my boys. I could make it work if that would be the best option, though.

I am drawn to Spelling Wisdom, but wonder if we will be missing out on learning the "rules" and such.

Anybody know anything about How to Teach Spelling? Or what about Soaring with Spelling?

Options like Spelling Power and Sequential Spelling have obviously been ruled out due to their teacher-intensive nature.

Help!?!

OK, maybe this is a simpler version of what I'm really asking...

Will Rod and Staff teach the phonetics and syllabication that I am looking for or not? It is cheap and easy, and I'm happy to pick it if it will get the job done.

What to do with a natural speller?

Rejoice.

Seriously though...could you tweak Megawords? It is perfect for syllabication work. Could you skip those learning steps that you don't need? Could you have each of your dc give the other the dictation lists when needed to help reduce your involvement?

I don't know that I would use it with a 2nd grader though...is he able to do the worksheets pretty much on his own or are you having to go through them with him? My dd does Megawords pretty much on her own but I wouldn't want to use it if I had to sit with her through the whole thing.

Oh! I just had a thought...what about the upper levels of Explode the Code? Have you looked at those? I think those are pretty much independent and they would give you the phonics and syllabication.

That probably wasn't much help. :001_huh: Good luck to you!

Explode the Code -- why didn't I think of that? Yes, that should be enough phonics for natural spellers and good readers and they do all kinds of work with syllables, but it is totally independent. You can probably find those at a bookstore or school supply store near you, as well. And they don't cost much. But do not start at the beginning for that age group, look through them until you find the level you want.

Phonics and spelling are not the same thing, so I don't think doing phonics will improve spelling in any way.

Of course syllabication is important, but it's easy to teach. You can give your dc lists of words from their other subjects and have them divide into syllables, look in the dictionary for etymologies, alphabetize the words, and write sentences with them.

Phonics and spelling are not the same thing, so I don't think doing phonics will improve spelling in any way.

Yes, good point. Perhaps I should clarify: my main goal in doing spelling is to fill in the phonics and syllabication gaps. I am less concerned with strictly teaching them how to spell since they are both progressing nicely without any direct instruction. I consider them "natural spellers" because they spell many words correctly on their own (from having seen the words in their readings), learn correct spellings quickly and easily, and are motivated to spell correctly.

I'm drawn to going more toward a dictation (Spelling Wisdom, perhaps?) method, but I hesitate to drop the rule based approach altogether because I do think they could use a bit of help decoding multisyllable words. Sometimes they guess and, while this doesn't seem to be affecting their comprehension one bit, I can't help but think a little more understanding of phonetic rules and syllabication would be beneficial.

I don't actually know how to detail these rules myself (hence the need for curriculum), but I do know that I learned them at some point.

My second grader is really doing third grade work (he has always wanted to keep up with big brother). I looked at Explode the Code--thanks for the suggestion!--but even books 7 and 8 looked like they might be too easy for my fourth grader. Not sure. He has always been such an advanced reader, but a delayed writer, which is why Explode the Code didn't work for him several years ago.

Hmmm...

Now I am thinking perhaps I might teach syllabication on my own?!?

Yes, you can teach it on your own! Anything you are willing to put in the time to learn yourself you can teach to your kids. Anything!

I have a natural speller and I do mostly dictation with her. But even my boys who are definitely not natural spellers, I do dictation with them and it really helps them as well. I just teach them the rules as we go, in context, and give them weekly "spelling bees" or quiz them on words with rules they need to practice.

I disagree that doing phonics doesn't help spelling, though. I view spelling as the other side of phonics. For example, phonics teaches when you see b-o-a-t you say boat; spelling teaches when you hear "boat" you spell it b-o-a-t. Spelling is like reading in reverse. So I think phonics helps with spelling, and spelling helps with phonics. They are just two sides of the same thing.