Menu

Phonics Road?

Does anyone here use The Phonics Road with an autistic and/or dyslexic child? I was reading about their product and they use the OG method. One thing that I liked when reading about it was the fact that writing, grammar, spelling, etc., was all covered in the same program as the phonics lessons. Each lesson is supposed to take about 15-20 min. chunks a couple times a day (ok, prob. more for our kids...lol)

Just wondering if anyone had any input?

I can tell you simply by looking at the Table of Contents that it wouldn't be appropriate for most dyslexic children. It is more Spalding-based than O-G. In week 2, it has your child learning 51 phonograms! Even though it seems that you work on these for a few weeks, that would be overwhelming (and inefective) for a dyslexic child. Most O-G programs start with just a few sounds and move forward from there, reveiwing, reviewing, reviewing.

I have found that dyslexic kids need to repeat things over and over again, overleaning the material, and *then* add a few more. I don't know about autistic children, though.

ooo...I didn't even notice that Renee! Thank you! He would have been a mess!! Yes, he needs a ton of review..and review..and review <g>

I will probably end up with Barton. That seems to be a hands-down favorite and I haven't really seen any negatives written about it.