Menu

What do you think of a Writing Resource sticky?

Capt_Uhura

Hello All,

What do you think of asking Mods for a Writing Resource sticky? Then we can add writing resources and why that tool was helpful. So not curriculum but resources you have on your shelf to help you teach writing.

For example:

Webster's New Student Writing Handbook - this book has every writing form imaginable. It also has samples to go with each one. It gives faulty paragraphs, explains how to make it better and then gives the corrected paragraph.

Warriner's Composition and Grammar - This is my go to book for grammar questions. It has also basic diagrams.

Rex Barks - It has every diagram imaginable.

Would you find something like this helpful?

Capt Uhura

• 4 months later...

Well i was going to say it's a great idea but then i saw you posted in March! I was trying to do a search to see if there were any discussions on the website www.createbetterwriters.com but it just found everything about writing! While i appreciatte Writing with Ease, the free newsletters from this site give you a jump start in teaching your child writing. It includes info for the parent and worksheets that are really helpful. My favorite that even my daughter was thrilled about was the first newslettter with pdf "Better ways of saying 'said'" including a whole list of words to use instead of 'said'.

Of course, they are trying to sell you their writing program but the monthly newsletters are one of the few easy to use resources for teaching writing i have found. Even better, they don't send you a lot of email, which i dislike. You get no more than two a month usually.

If we had a particular place to go for links and resources like Capt Uhura suggested, we could have quick resources at our fingertips. There is so much info nowadays its overwhelming! It would be good to have a "top faves" list or maybe concise list that many voted on.

Anyway, check out that website, the newsletters and worksheets are so good i signed up again with a new email address to start them over because i have been through like, 4 computers and hadn't saved the files. Now that my DD is writing i knew they would help me teach her and develop her skills.

p.s. i'm new here and don't exactly know how "stickys" work! Do i change that y to ie? lol