Menu

Trying to decide between VP Scholars and Easy Classical for MARR

LisaKinVA

My 4th and 3rd graders will be combined for history (among other things) next year. I will definitely be using VP as a guide...just wondering if Easy Classical or the Scholars plan from VP for MARR would be better.

Looking for pros/cons of each (I've only done VP on my own before... went okay, but would like a little more planning done for me this time around).

Thanks.

My 4th and 3rd graders will be combined for history (among other things) next year. I will definitely be using VP as a guide...just wondering if Easy Classical or the Scholars plan from VP for MARR would be better.

Looking for pros/cons of each (I've only done VP on my own before... went okay, but would like a little more planning done for me this time around).

Thanks.

I used VP scholars for MARR this year. I am very impressed with it. It's much more than a schedule. There are scripted background notes for each card. I'm a history buff and I still found the information helpful and informative. The background notes give the context for the card and connect it to other things that you've studied. That sort of thing. The notes are so detailed as to even include notes like "when you read this section, hold up the map on page xx."

The lesson plans also schedule out historical fiction (with introductory notes and often comprehensive questions)--one set for 1-3 and another 4-6. The projects are scheduled as well as some writing assignments using IEW. There are map drills and geography integrated in as well.

One word of caution: I used this with my 6th and 8th graders (who are also doing Omnibus II) and I found it a very full program. I ended up scaling back some of the historical fiction reading.

The program may be too much for a 4th and 3rd grader. If you end up going with VP, you might want to use the 1-3 fiction selections or scale back considerably the 4-6 suggestions.

Also, I didn't do the worksheets or the tests.

The program gets two thumbs up from me. But it is on the challenging side.

I agree, the VP Scholars lesson plans are very good. Their notes are very helpful.

Easy Classial might be your choice if you want to integrate SOTW into your history lessons. I'm not sure, but I believe that the VP cards are the spine of Easy Classical and SOTW is used to help flesh out the topics.

VP Scholars probably provides a little more hand-holding, but there is no one page a day (at a glance) schedule. You have a very detailed sheet for each subject that explains what you should do. VP Scholars has room for customization. For example, you can order the MAAR history lessons, the 2nd grade literature lesson plans, and the 4th grade Latin plans (LFC B). You can even opt NOT to order particular subjects.

If you'd prefer an "at a glance" type schedule, then take a close look at Easy Classical.

We're currently using the Scholars plans for MARR. They do an excellent job of telling you exactly what to do for each lesson. I love all of the little details that they give you to flesh out the study.

One of the reasons that I chose them over the Easy Classical plans was that I didn't want a grid schedule. I'm a box checker and I'd get flustered when I used Sonlight if I was behind in one subject but ahead in another. But many people like the grid layout so that's something to think about.

With that said, I will not be using VP going forward because I don't feel comfortable adapting the information to use as a Catholic. That's the only reason. Otherwise, I think that it's a wonderful program and have nothing negative to say. Their customer service is stellar and they make it easy to pick and choose grade levels for each subject area. That is a definite plus in my opinion.