Menu

Pro's/Con's of Galloping the Globe?

Sevilla

Think of it as a list of possible resources to pull from. The thing that I liked the best were the literature suggestions for each country and the notebook pages, maps and flags that come on the disc.

My main disappointment was that there is no schedule, no structure, etc. You are on your own with that.

We are using expedition earth (only the secular portions), and we are enjoying it.

Love it combined with Five In A Row. It's a great resource for me - a way to plan and organize FIAR, but FIAR is where the actual ideas for lesson plans are. GTG is little more than a list of great resources by region, not a curriculum in the traditional sense. I would buy it again in a heartbeat, but if you are looking for a full geography curriculum, this isn't it.

Edited by MeganW

Guest aquiverfull
It's really just a booklist, as I found the worksheets to be above the PreK/K grades I was interested in it for. If you can find it used for a great price, then maybe it's worth it, but I certainly wouldn't pay full price.

:iagree:

I am using it this year & we have loved it. However, I think that you could easily create this curriculum yourself. We don't use all the books recommended, and we don't use their science suggestions (as we're doing R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey).

To be honest, I think pairing FIAR readings (country list available at http://www.homeschoolshare.com), and resources available from Jolanthe at Homeschool Creations, you'd be set.

I am using it this year also and love it because I am not tied to someone elses schedule. It doesn't take me but 20 minutes to plan my week. Some people just want something all layed out with no teacher prep but I actually like tailoring our week to suit our needs. It is great. Having come from FIAR I use it in a very similar way...Social studies on Monday, the Language Arts portion on Tues...and so on. I add my own LA(LLATL) and Math(SM) and find it fantastic. The print out CD saves me time. I recommend the GTG yahoo group as well. I looked at Expedition Earth and found it to be straight Geography...I wanted more unit study type curriculum..

HTH,

Penny

Edited by mystika1