Menu

Esacoma and the Burchbark House - age 6

Satori

We started reading The Birchbark House this week, so my daughter wrote her own book, incorporating ideas she's taken from our early American History studies and the book. :)

http://satorismiles.com/2011/02/25/esacoma-and-the-burchbark-house/

20110225blank-books-AM7_8922-450x320.jpg

Just wanted to share. Obviously it isn't grammatically perfect and everything spelled correctly, but she writes books like this everyday.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i know satori has always been a writer. what helped her the most with spelling?? We are gonna start up AAS 1 again after a year in PS. But my DD LOVE LOVE LOVE to write in her journal. its jsut she rushes and spells phonetically, which is great, but at the same time i dont know. words she can read like "could" she jst writes cud.

do you think AAS and if i get some money and buy FLL it will help? i encourage her to write all the time cause it has become a passion, little stories and all...i just would love to develop it better for her.

She has no prob with me correcting it either, telling her what words are spelled wrong ect, but im afraid that will kill her confidence too...

AAS has worked wonders for us. It's amazing how well she can spell now. We're slowing our lessons down a bit now, we're currently on Level 4, Step 21 (out of 27).

Our huge focus the school year of 2010-2011 has been grammar. I specifically focused on grammar to help her writing, which I think was a smart move for Satori. It wasn't what I was expecting to do, but the effort has paid off. We were in second grade grammar at the time of this writing. We're now in third grade grammar, using a few different programs, and she's really trying to use what she's learning. It's so cute.

I very rarely correct her spelling and grammar on her independent writings she does for fun. I'll point it out in our lessons though.

Hi Angela. I love Satori's stories. I wanted to forward this link to you in case she might enjoy working on her own novel.. (It seems like she already does!). I actually really liked the lesson plans, and have thought of incorporating them into a weekly class with some in our co-op this year.

http://littleblueschool.blogspot.com/search/label/lessons

Thanks for the link SaDonna! It looks very intriguing but a lot of the links to PDFs are no longer valid. :( Do you still have the entire program on PDF? Or is reading the articles on the examiner website sufficient?

I actually think I might have downloaded it two years ago, but that was definitely too early for Satori at the time.