Menu

Book suggestions for writing mathematical proofs?

I'm looking for books that explain mathematical proofs a little more in depth than what is typically taught at the high school level. Maybe something between what AoPS offers and the little Rudin. LOL! That should cover a range, I think.

Any suggestions?

:bigear:

The older Dolciani Alg. I book goes through proofs pretty thoroughly. My oldest ds loved it. The explanations were great and step-by-step so it was easily understood.

The problem is, the solutions manuals are almost impossible to find and when you do find one, it's usually priced at $100 or more. The TM can also be hard to find, though not as much as the SMs. If you are good at math and don't really need a solution manual, these books are great.

Denise

[because I can't not suggest AoPS...:)]

The AoPS site has a series of articles about proof writing. I think Mr. Ruscyzk wrote most of them himself, and they're pretty comprehensive.

You could also look at the solutions to old math olympiad problems; some of those are elegant enough to make you weep. More learning by example than direct instruction, of course, but maybe a nice supplement.

I always look for those old Dolciani books when I visit used book stores! The other day, I found a huge set of old Saxon books that I was tempted to buy just to resell. The publishers of the old Dolciani books should just start republishing them, don't you think? LOL.

AoPS has been great, but I'm wondering if there's another resource out there that would be worth getting. I will check out their website and get those proof articles. They sound like just the ticket.

Thanks a bunch!

I would find a way to use AoPS, Dolciani and Foerster together. Maybe throw in some LoF for humor. Of course, I have no idea how anyone would complete all of this math in one year. Sometimes I wish we had more years so we could delve into certain subjects in a really indepth way.

Anyway, this doesn't answer your question. I'm just wishing.

Denise