Menu

Question About SWB Outlines

1Togo

I understand the importance of outining, but would like to understand the importance of sentence outlines. If a student is writing an outline for an essay, doesn't he usually write a phrase outline? When does teaching phrase outlines get into the picture? Also, what is the purpose of writing paragraphs from sentence outlines? In most cases, the student is just removing the outline numbers and letters, and their writing will be an imitation of the source. That may not be a bad thing if the source is written well, but if the source is poorly written, the student's writing will be weak as well. We will be starting another quarter in two weeks, and I am trying to determine what I should include in our English work.

What is a phrase outline? I have never heard that term before.

You might want to buy the lecture "A plan for teaching writing: the middle years"

The slides from the lecture are also available at Peace Hill press. The first couple times, I listened and looked at the slides together and it was very helpful.

I understand the importance of outining, but would like to understand the importance of sentence outlines. If a student is writing an outline for an essay, doesn't he usually write a phrase outline? When does teaching phrase outlines get into the picture? Also, what is the purpose of writing paragraphs from sentence outlines? In most cases, the student is just removing the outline numbers and letters, and their writing will be an imitation of the source. That may not be a bad thing if the source is written well, but if the source is poorly written, the student's writing will be weak as well. We will be starting another quarter in two weeks, and I am trying to determine what I should include in our English work.

Well, the sentences in the outline should definitely not be a copy of the source text. The outline sentences should rephrase the interesting/relevant fact. IIRC, SWB recommends sentences in the outline as a way to make sure you remember what you wanted to remember. If you only write down a few words, you may not remember what you meant when you come back to your outline a day or two later. Her audio downloads about writing are really helpful. :)