Menu

ToG / SAS and Questions

sahm99

So, we are ready to jump into our Year1 / LG, UG and D. (Thank you all for sharing/informing and thinking this through with me!!:))

I am wondering whether you systematically do the SAP, Accountability-, and Thinking-Questions in writing?

One of my reasons for switching to ToG (from SL) is, that I want the kids to become increasingly more independent (particularly ds, in D-level).

Obviously, I intend on having the discussions with the kids (actually, that is the part I am most looking forward to!). But on a day-to-day basis I would think it helpful (both, for him AND me;)) to answer the Questions on paper...

Do you think this is reasonable?

Also, for those of you that ask the same of their D-level kids, how many discussion sessions do you plan for, and how long do these usually last?

What about the grammar-level?

Thank you for your help...again:)!

Edited by sahm99

I remind them weekly to read all of the questions before reading. I started with assigning 2 questions from Accountability and 2 from Thinking. Read the answer to one of the questions (weekly) that you did not assign, so they will see where you want them to get with their answers. You'll notice paragraphs, not one liners (most of the time). This is a nice tool to show them how we make connections across the board (one beauty of TOG). We do orally discuss the other questions every week. Since I have multiple kids in the same level, I also try to assign different questions into each one.

I assign the questions and want them to put them on paper (writing is one way to cement things in their minds). It makes them think through their answers and communicate clearly. After our discussion, I allow them to add or remove to their questions. Then at dinner usually, I have them read aloud their answers for dad and the family, then we elaborate (Pop Quizzes are great).

It takes about 1 hour to do the D discussions and usually about 30m for the literature lesson. Many times the lit. should be taught before the materials, other times, after. You'll have to gauge that by the Teacher's Notes. We take around 2 hours just for history discussion most of the time with the R materials b/c you first go through D level, then we pick up with R.

Something else you'll notice is the famous people often have questions about them. I tell them, "just answer this question on your famous people assignment." They make cards or have a spiral notebook (their preference) for the famous people, so this way, I kinda kill 2 birds with one stone :) It occurred to my dd recently that she was answering nearly all the questions b/c of the famous people cards (insert evil mommy laugh). She rolled her eyes at me :) when I said, "You're just now noticing that!" :lol:

Make sure they answer them well, they make for a great study tool for Unit Evaluations!

This is my first year doing TOG, so I am still working out the kinks, but this is what we do:

My D-level students answer all of the accountability and thinking questions in writing. We also usually do the church history questions in writing.

I schedule one long discussion time on Friday afternoons. It usually lasts an hour. I do not schedule discussion time for church history - I just read their answers and discuss in little snippets throughout the week.

It might be a little much to do D with a 5th grade 11yo. I have my 13yo in LG right now, though that is also because of content issues in year 4. She is sensitive. She will be doing D in year 1. My 5th grader/then 6th grader is staying in LG in for year 1. In her case she would be overwhelmed by the amount of reading at the D level. She reads well and at a high level, but she is a slow reader and needs time to chew on things still. D would stress her out too much to make it worth it.

Point being don't be afraid to go between D and LG, if needed. I will probably pick and choose D level work for my 6th grader to do once a month or so.

You could do it in writing, if they are able. Those are some pretty challenging questions so you might initially have them read the questions, then do the reading, then try to answer them on paper, but then have a time together where you can go back and forth and fill in any gaps-help them see what is going on, even if they don't initially.

Heather