Menu

Horse people, help!

I went to check on our horses today. I rent a pasture for them from a retired couple, and things have been fine since we moved them down here. I have gotten a round bale of coastal and everything was fine. This week the property owners got me another one (they are horse people and know the area), my vehicle had broken down so I wasn't out there for a couple days. I went out this morning and the horses seemed off :glare:. They were both a bit lethargic, and did not seem interested in this bale of hay. I checked it over....smells wonderful!!!! I mean it smells really, really good...almost sweet. Reminded me of the grass mats we used to have when we went to the beach. No mold or dust. They both had gut noises, and the kids rode lightly with no issues. I mixed up their grain and they ate that fine.

My mare is normally not picky!!! So something seems off. Pulse and temp were fine. It has been pretty warm the last few days and they have there thick Mo. coats, but I am a bit baffled.

It can happen with a change in hay. Is this new stuff to your horses?

As long as you hear gut noises, they drink & poop, I would not worry too much.

If it's new a type of hay for them, give them some time.

If they go off feed completely, then there is something wrong.

It can happen with a change in hay. Is this new stuff to your horses?

As long as you hear gut noises, they drink & poop, I would not worry too much.

If it's new a type of hay for them, give them some time.

If they go off feed completely, then there is something wrong.

I've been an anxious wreck for the past 2 days (can you tell I'm PMSing ;)) over every little thing. I'm going to go take a :chillpill:pill!

This hay does smell different, even if it is the same basic type...okay they will just have to adapt.