Menu

R&S Math for First Grade?

Karen in CO

I'm starting to look at next, mostly because I've had a migraine and can't focus on much. I've been using the MP K manual for a couple of months to manage things like read alouds, art study, poetry and memorization. I plan to use it next year too. It occurred to me that if I used the math they suggest (R&S 1) that I could simplify my life.

My current math plan - based on hard won experience - is BJU 1-3 then moving into Saxon 5/4. If I use R&S for first to third, is my dd going to be ready for division by the end of R&S 3? I know they are very different approaches so I won't ask for comparison of them, but any advice if you've used R&S math is GREATLY appreciated.

I don't plan to change phonics from PR to what they schedule so no matter what, I won't be doing everything from the manual.

I use Rod and Staff (1, 2, 4, and 5 so far). I have 3 on hand to start in a few weeks.

Here is the rundown on basic skills:

1st--addition/subtraction facts to 10

2nd--addition/subtraction facts to 20, regrouping with addition/subtraction

3rd--review of old, multiplication/division including simple long division, multiplication with regrouping, dividing 3 digits by 2 digit numbers, long division with remainders

In 4th, they review all the multiplication/division facts, add in fractions and spend a lot of time on long division including writing the remainder as a reduced fraction.

In 5th, we are spending time doing things with fractions, that I don't remember covering in school myself but is probably good skills to have. Things such as:

what is 4/5 of 35?

what is 6 1/5 times 18?

These are problems that do come up in everyday life in cooking and crafts and I am sure the percentage work will be just as tough and will relate to shopping and sales.

I used to use Singapore but I am impressed by all that Rod and Staff teaches. :001_smile: