Menu

Homeschooling- Again..

Hello. I used to lurk for a while back when I was homeschooling my older children. Now they are happily in middle school, in their advanced programs, and progressing nicely towards their goals.

My middle two are now home. My 6yo attended kindergarten, and nothing quite "clicked". But behaviorally, he was an angel, so very very helpful, social to the extreme, so of course despite him teacher agreeing with me that he would be served by being held back and repeating kindergarten, he was promoted to first grade.

This year, the youngest in the set, my 5 yo, started K. He is the antithesis of his brother. Today I tested him at a middle 3rd grade reading in fluency and comprehension. His mind is completely academically minded and absorbs information like a sponge. Behaviorally, he is a menace. Waiting turns, standing in line, and anything like "circle time" is a no go. Seat work will keep him occupied just fine.

I finally decided that public school was not serving any of my kids in any way, despite their differences. So while i was officially not homeschooling for 5 months, I find myself at it again. This is my first go around with these ages, as I started with my older ds in 3rd grade, and dd in 4th. DS returned to ps in 5th and has been happy ever since, and DD just returned this past year.

I am at a loss as to figuring out how much wiggling is "ok", especially when the older one is the one who needs more frequent brakes. The dynamics of having 2 older PS'rs, 2 beginning the schooling journey, and 2 toddlers (Just 3 and juste2) is overwhelming. I've come to TWTM forums with the hope that being part of this community will help redefine what "normal" is. I (not the kids or DH) am having a hard time accepting when only 2 subject get done.

Again their is my reintroduction, and now that I think about it, I haven;t changed my siggy in years.. I wonder what it says.. Humm..

(in post siggy- to be accurate to today)

Lee

14DD-8th ps, 12-DS 7th ps, 6DS-home, 5DS-home, 3DS-destructomite, 2DS- Monkey climber extraordinaire.

I am at a loss as to figuring out how much wiggling is "ok", especially when the older one is the one who needs more frequent brakes. The dynamics of having 2 older PS'rs, 2 beginning the schooling journey, and 2 toddlers (Just 3 and juste2) is overwhelming. I've come to TWTM forums with the hope that being part of this community will help redefine what "normal" is. I (not the kids or DH) am having a hard time accepting when only 2 subject get done.

My kids get to do a lot of wiggling and get lots of breaks, but when I have to be careful that they don't develop the attitude that they can do what they want when they want. It's usually my fault, I'm too easy-going. Dd7 definitely needs more structure, or else she won't obey.

I think frequent breaks are ok, as long as they know they have to come back when you call them. Wiggling is fine as long as it doesn't affect things like handwriting, paying attention, etc... You have to teach them when it's ok to wiggle and when it's not. Mine can wiggle when they're coloring or listening to a story, etc... They have swivel chairs now from IKEA, so we're dealing with excessive wiggling because the chairs keep bumping the table. :glare:

Well, my boys are six (almost seven). I don't demand no wiggling and we do breaks. Actually what works best here is switching off between them for subjects--math for you, then math for your brother, snack, handwriting for you, etc. I also do pretty short lessons for content areas--even if if means we do the subject in the morning and then later in the afternoon. It just works better here. I wonder if a chart type thing would help them see what is next and have a routine even if the demands of the youngers means it can't happen at the same time every day or with all subjects taught in the same time period/sequentially each day. On the other hand if the young ones nap I'd be banging out my priority subjects then I think.

Edited by sbgrace