Menu

Rocket Phonics? Anyone? Might change to CLE. PLEASE help

9arrows4God

Has anyone here used Rocket Phonics? What did you think, was it hard to wean off the helpers to just knowing the words. Did they get any confusion. On site -major reviews. But I am almost wondering if they will get hung up on the helpers and their eyes take so long to look at the word plus the helpers underneath. I have this program but have been going so slow in it more because of me. I am worried about their eyes trying to see the actually word -- plus look how it sounds underneath. And weaning off, truly. And not really connecting that often certain letters say certain thing and not try to connect to the one sound. I see he address that the long "a" is shown in many way in book 2, but jsut mentioned and shown words and on they go with alway still showing the little helper of "ay" underneath. Anyone use this and totally was not a hit. Wish you had not? Teacher intensive or stressed by the end.

I am wanting to make a call to CLE today about ordering their math, but I am tempting to get their Learning to read. Do I make the call for their reading too. Would it be better. Has everyone really loved it and helped the child read and get above level reading quickly?

I did update my post below on what did not work in the other programs.

Help do I make the call or not. I do want to get my order in for the math and if I order reading I want to do it soon as possible since I am in Canada and cheeper to pay shipping once, plus it 2 weeks for sure to get it here already, so if I order I hope to get it on it way.

Thanks again all

UPDATED HERE

So hubby had a look at our Rocket Phonics and he said "sell it". It makes my brain gumbled. They introduce rules and such, but then just read stories with all the different ways one set of letters can make differnt sounds and with no writting and such the helpers still under each one, he just thinks it is to much.

So I am thinking it is onto CLE? Do you have to use the ABC falsh cards they have or can you use any flash cards. Only reason I ask is I love the beautiful flash card that came with Rocket Phonics. They are real pictures and very stury smaller cards. Now these will of course sell with my set but is there flash cards elsewhere I can buy with beautiful real life photos?

ALso for CLE users I see many loved the Lrn to Read but not always the next level. What do you use next or is it good enough to read anything after.

Do the teach dividing into syables and if the vowel is open it says it's name and if it is closed then it says its short sound. This was a really neat rule in ETC.

I am sure I will have other ???'s too.

Thanks

Edited by 9arrows4God

Surprisingly the kids seemed to deal with the clutter of reading the 'helpers' just fine. Tried the program with two, none finished the whole thing before boredom, DD went far enough to start books, while DS rebelled and required different program (Dancing Bears).

I am sure I could have pushed RocketPhonics further with both children, but at that stage we were striving for positive feelings linked to reading training.