Menu

I need ideas for a special Italian or Mexican dinner.

Ds graduates in just a few weeks. He doesn't want a big party, but we will be having a family dinner following the ceremony. I asked him what he'd like to have, and he will only say Mexican or Italian food. He won't get more specific than that or choose one. I need a full menu--something that will be a special dinner, but that I can make up ahead of time and just pop in the oven while everyone visits and watches the slideshow dd has prepared. We'll be at the graduation from about 2:00-4:00 and everyone will come to our house immediately after since the rest of the family lives 30-45 minutes away. I'm guessing we'll have about 20-25 people over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Guest Virginia Dawn

Mexican is pretty easy: Spanish rice, refried beans, a couple of pans of enchiladas (chicken, beef, or both), and a salad with avocado in it. You could also get a big batch of tamales from a Mexican store and warm them up in the oven. Just about everything can be made ahead and warmed up.

you could make up a couple of pans of stuffed pasta shells, manicotti, or Pioneer Woman's yummy lasagna. You could make them ahead & place in the refrigerator. Same with a big, make-ahead green salad (just don't dress it ahead of time). For special occasions, I like to do a salad that is similar to what is served at Olive Garden. Also, slice a couple of loaves of crusty bread, spread with garlic butter or garlic & olive oil (my favorite). Reassemble the loaves & wrap in foil. When you get home, all you need to do is bake the lasagna (or whichever dish you choose), dress the salad & warm the bread.

Lisa

For Italian, you can always have something like lasagna to pop into the oven. Or some other italian baked entree (chicken parmiagana, etc.). Pasta itself can be precooked, stored in a ziplock, and rinsed with hot water in a colander at serving time. We like pasta served with pesto sauce as a side to roasted italian sausages. Then, of course, just a salad and bread. Really good is foccacia and bowls of spiced olive oil to dip in. While your guests are watching the the dvd, you can set out premade plates of antipasto. Dessert could be tiramisu, italian cream cake...

For Mexican, I really like to do "fix your own" taco salad bar with all the fixings (lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, avocados, shredded cheese, olives, jalapenos). Meat can be precooked and warmed at serving time, and can be either seasoned ground beef or chunks of fajita meat (beef and/or chicken). Serve with plenty of chips, queso, salsa, lime wedges, cornbread muffins and/or flour tortillas, and maybe even bowls of bean or some other mexican soup dished out of a crockpot. Dessert could be a tart cheesecake or something chocolate. Personally, I would serve the chocolate cake that's on Ree's website, and I'd serve it ala mode :).

I guess it depends on how "fancy" you want it to be. If you want casual, laid back fun style, I'd go with the mexican menu.

HTH

Y'all have some good ideas, but you are not helping me decide which to choose, LOL! They all sound delicious. I know everyone loves my enchiladas (both the sour cream and the red sauce kind) and my lasagna. They're what people always ask me to make--then again, they may think that's all I can make:D I know both of those are easy to pre-assemble and then pop in the oven while visiting. I'll just have to show ds the things you all listed and force him to choose. Thank you all for the ideas!