Menu

Considering MFW ECC for 7th grade next year with a child who is NOT a strong reader

I'm not sure how to phrase my question, so I hope I can make this make sense. I am teaching a family friend (7th grade next year), and she hates to read because she is a poor reader--and vice versa. This year, 6th grade, is the first year I've taught her, and I can tell that her reading skills have improved quite a bit since we first started in August, although I think she is still about a year below grade level in her comprehension and critical thinking skills (making inferences & associations, drawing conclusions, sequencing, predicting, understanding cause & effect, comparing & contrasting, etc.). Does ECC include any instruction in skills, or is it all about content?

Edited by ereks mom

This isn't what you asked at all, but I just ordered the Christian Cottage yr 2 materials to see if I could give our geography studies a bit more direction. We have the Around the World in 180 Days workbook, which is good, but it doesn't give you a lot of structure and fun stuff for day to day, kwim? The CC should do that for us. In any case, I just thought I'd toss it out there, if you've never heard of it. We're pretty excited. It covers such an eclectic mix of things, lots of countries, etc., it should be very interesting. The author was dealing with a dyslexic child who struggled in certain areas but was good in others. Might be a nice fit if the girl you're teaching has any of that going on. http://www.christiancottage.com/Units/Vol2toc.html

In any case, happy researching. Oh, the research-driven approach of Around the World in 180 Days is really fun for my dd. Might be the girl you're teaching would enjoy it too. The CC units include questions to research as well. Leads naturally into writing, because they research, are making notes on what they find interesting, and then can write. From the 7th on up it's pretty different, so you'd want the 6th.

You didn't mention this, but are you doing a reading curriculum with her? I know the BJU Reading 6 does all the things you're saying, and so would most standard reading curricula. It might be easiest just to add that onto whatever core materials you're using with her.

Edited by OhElizabeth