Menu

Cooking Curriculum

handmadebyangel

I have a 6 year old who loves hand on stuff and LOVES to cook. I was looking for a curriculum that uses cooking to teach. Not just how to cook, but how to use cooking to teach other things. I found one thing that looked good, it was called Homeschool Cooking in a Box by Laura Bankston. But everytime a found a link to look at it it wasn't the curriculum. I've searched and found 7 articles that this woman wrote and I like her a lot. All of the articles were written in 2004. Does anyone know where to find this curriculum, or alternatively, know of any other curriculum like that?

Check out Pearables too.

I've been looking at nutrition and home economics curricula lately and a few other ladies here have been too. I started a yahoo group, that really hasn't gotten going yet. Maybe it never will :-0 But anyway here is the link.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TODKAH/

I hope someone can give more info about the curriculum you are talking about. I'd like to see it.

My 12th grade son is doing Culinary Arts this year - we have been using 2 of Alton Brown's books - "I"m Just Here for the Food" (cooking techniques and recipes) and "I'm Just Here for More Food" (baking techniques and recipes). He loves the books and asked if I would give them to him after my daughter is finished with the class - go figure! :D

My son is very science-minded, and Alton Brown's style of writing - rather scientific - is very much like his cooking shows on FoodTV. I would highly recommend these books for an interesting Culinary Arts program for a high schooler.

Guest RecumbentHeart
I just stumbled upon a unit study using Healthy Food Cookbook

http://www.bbhomeschoolcatalog.com/unit_studies.html

This looks awesome. Definitely looking into this.

My 12th grade son is doing Culinary Arts this year - we have been using 2 of Alton Brown's books - "I"m Just Here for the Food" (cooking techniques and recipes) and "I'm Just Here for More Food" (baking techniques and recipes). He loves the books and asked if I would give them to him after my daughter is finished with the class - go figure! :D

My son is very science-minded, and Alton Brown's style of writing - rather scientific - is very much like his cooking shows on FoodTV. I would highly recommend these books for an interesting Culinary Arts program for a high schooler.

This looks like exactly what I need for myself. Thank-you for sharing!