Menu

MFW ECC WorldBook Encyclopedia question

needmoregrace

I am planning on using MFW ECC with my 10,9, and 7 year olds. They are not accelerated learners, by any means.:) I've actually been pretty easy on them academically. I am wondering if I should buy the World Book Encyclopedia CD-Rom when I place my order with MFW. This will be our first year with MFW. My oldest will do AHL in the fall, so maybe she would sometimes use it too?

My real question is would it benefit my 5th and 4th graders to have the WB encyclopedia. I don't want to waste $40 if we really don't need it. I can buy it later (when it will be current) for them as they are older.

Any suggestions??? For those who have MFW experience, what do you think?? Thank you!

~NMG

I'm using ECC with my kids, granted we are afterschooling my 4th grader but my 3rd grader is home full time. I think you would be fine without the encyclopedia unless you really, really like to check all your boxes off. Most of the encyclopedia assignments though are for the older kids and for enrichment for elementary kids who need a little extra. Do you have a good library system? I would not buy the encyclopedia even if I had all three of my kids home unless I had one in 8th grade who really needed to practice researching.

I'm doing ECC with a 4th grader and so far (5 weeks in) we haven't needed an encyclopedia at all. Agreeing with pp that I think most of the research assignments are for the jr high set. Anything we've needed to look up has been in the books that came with the package, or maybe a library book. Oh, we did look up a couple different kinds of trees in online field guides.

I don't think it's necessary for the ages you'll have.

:)

Melissa

Thank you! You are really helping me out! I might look into getting an older version if and see if we use it, if I can find a great deal!

I am so glad I posted about this! I already have plenty of things that I didn't really use after all. I don't need to spend $40 and not use it!

My local county library is being taken over by our city. No one is sure how it is going to work out. It has been good up until now.

~nmg