Menu

Teacher memoirs-do you read them?

I'm listening to a recording of Frank McCourt reading his last book, Teacher Man, and it's just wonderful. His warmth, love of his students, and honesty shines through. Has anyone read or listened to it? I recommend it. It's easy to find testimonials online from his former students. It really sounds like he really was an extraordinary teacher, not only because of his skill, but because he respected and liked kids.

It's also made me think of other teacher memoirs I've enjoyed or found thought-provoking: My first, and fave in some ways, was Marva Collins Way, first because she describes how her classical school succeeded despite the odds, and because she shows how love really DOES matter when you are a teacher. I was so motivated by her model of a successful classical education. I also liked John Taylor Gatto's Weapons of Mass Instruction, though it was more thought-provoking than motivating for me.

Any other great teacher memoirs out there?

His voice was wonderful.

I was able to hear him speak when he was writing Teacher Man. It was good (although not as good as Angela's Ashes).

When I was considering homeschooling, I read David Guterson's Family Matters and I found it pretty interesting as well. Guterson was working as an English teacher in the public school. I imagine his writing supports the family at this point :)

I love Sylvia Ashton Warner's books about her time teaching the Maori kids in NZ. She did a follow up book about working with an open school in the US that was so interesting--that one is called Spearpoint, and I keep both books on my "favorites" shelf.

I also love, love, love Torey Hayden's books about her work with emotionally disturbed kids(and kids with other diags--like elective mutism). Her book, One Child, is probably my favorite book of all time.

I really like Rafe Esquith (Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire, et al) as well as John Holt (unschooling advocate. He had a passion for internally driven education and following the kids passions). Colfaxes (Homeschooling for Excellence and the homesteading one). Alexandra Swann (homeschooler)"No Regrets" and I like Grace Llewlleyn's "Teenage Liberation Handbook" -Llewellyn is a Holt follower and the book is about kids taking charge of their own education and the crazy adventures that follow.