Menu

Has anyone used Teaching Textbooks all the way through?

I've been hearing lately from a lot of people who have used TT for a year or two in the middle grades and feel that it put their dc behind. I know that the scope and sequence of TT is a year or two behind some math programs, but my feeling is that that is ok as long as it picks up speed in the high school years and they end up in the same place as other math programs would get them.

However I'm not sure if this is the case or not, as I don't know many people who have used it all the way through to the end. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Nicole

I have used it from Math 7 on, but I haven't even looked at the earlier years as I have no need. I agree that Math 7 should be for 6th graders, not 7th, but it worked well at helping to catch up my previously public schooled youngun.

My middle son used it from Alg 1 - Pre-Calc and scored 99th percentile on the ACT (twice) and 98th percentile on the PSAT (Math for both). He also had the highest score his cc adviser had seen on their college entrance exam and easily placed into college Calc. For what it's worth, I often have math classes at school try the SAT Question of the Day when they are math problems (I sub in math classes at our public high school). My guy rarely misses any. My public schooled kids rarely GET any (esp if they aren't easy). I was in our school's College Alg classes (many get college credit for this class) and had them try the geometry question from Feb 3rd. Only one student got it right. One. Out of three classes of students. My guy got it easily. Collegeboard said 32% of all who tried answered it correctly. I should have had better than that in my college classes IMO. That definitely doesn't say TT is the best, but it certainly beats what my school is using (currently CPM math - DON'T use that!!!). My youngest insisted on going back to ps this year for 9th grade and is in CPM math (Geometry). We're supplementing math at home.

My oldest son used TT Geometry and Pre-Calc but was in ps for Alg 1 and Alg 2 (used Larson's text at that time in our ps - they've since switched). He's didn't score quite as high, but still scored 97th percentile (math). He went straight into Calc easily afterward.

I'm quite satisfied and the only change I would make would have been pulling oldest out at 7th grade instead of 9th.

But, I don't know about TT and the earlier grades at all. I was happy with Math 7 up. I know it works more slowly, but I see that as a pro, not a con. I'd rather go slow and have the learning there than rush through to do more things and have students confused with limited learning.

Big last note: With ANY curricula (as many can work well), one needs to be certain the learning is there.

I've been hearing lately from a lot of people who have used TT for a year or two in the middle grades and feel that it put their dc behind. I know that the scope and sequence of TT is a year or two behind some math programs, but my feeling is that that is ok as long as it picks up speed in the high school years and they end up in the same place as other math programs would get them.

I just started considering it for next year. My daughter has ALWAYS struggled with math, and although she is smart, she is behind a little as she finishes 6th grade. If TT is a little behind it may actually work for her next year. She is also wanting a Math curr that is independent as she is wanting to take on more responsibility and has shown she can do it well.

:bigear:

Thanks creekland for sharing your experience of having great success with TT! That is good to know. We have been using it for three years now and I think it is great. We currently use Math 4 up to Alg 1 and I had planned to use it all the way through. But hearing so many negative reviews lately got me second-guessing myself although I feel really good about the program.

I feel the slower scope and sequence of TT is helping my dc get a firm foundation so they have real understanding, rather than moving through quickly.

I'd love to hear more reviews, positive or negative, from any other users!

I don't have personal experience, but a friend at our co-op does. She has graduated two and they both used TT all the way thru high school. Both are doing well in college, one as a business/accounting major. She was telling the group that both were well prepared for their college classes. I was telling her how many people on these boards knock TT and she was surprised because they have had great success. She has three more children at home and all are using TT.

I just started TT this year with my 4th grade dd, so I was glad to hear a success story.