Menu

Help with this grammar problem...

Pausing an instant, we made a bandage for my wounded finger, which was bleeding freely and ached severely, the bone being much bruised. Then we rode on, asking of our good horses all that was in them. The excitement of the fight and of our great resolve died away, and we rode in gloomy silence. Day broke clear and cold. We found a farmer just up, and made him give us sustenance for ourselves and our horses. I, feigning a toothache, muffled my face closely. Then ahead again, till Strelsau lay before us. It was eight o'clock or nearing nine, and the gates were open, as they always were save when the duke's caprice or intrigues shut them.

--The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope

We need to find the prepositional phrases, which I think we've done and we need to find the two words in the passage, acting as adverbs, that can be prepostions when they have an object.

Anyone?

Pausing an instant, we made a bandage for my wounded finger, which was bleeding freely and ached severely, the bone being much bruised. Then we rode on, asking of our good horses all that was in them. The excitement of the fight and of our great resolve died away, and we rode in gloomy silence. Day broke clear and cold. We found a farmer just up, and made him give us sustenance for ourselves and our horses. I, feigning a toothache, muffled my face closely. Then ahead again, till Strelsau lay before us. It was eight o'clock or nearing nine, and the gates were open, as they always were save when the duke's caprice or intrigues shut them.

--The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope

for...finger

of...horses

in them

of the fight

of ...resolve

in...silence

for ourselves & horses (compound Obj of prep)

before us

Did I get all the ones you got?

:)