Menu

ABeka DVD Academy English 8?????

I am homeschooling my DD who is 12 (soon to be 13) and will be going into the 8th grade this upcoming school year in August. I am just going to be honest I am NOT good at teaching English. As a matter of Fact I dont even know where to begin. I am not good at math either but that is taken care of. I would like to put her in the 8th grade English video streaming in the Abeka Dvd academy but I would like to find out more about how it works first before I do it just to make sure it would be right for my daughter. I know that they combine the Grammer and composition, literature and Vocab,spelling and poetry but how do they teach all 3 at once in the dvd's? I guess what I really want to know is does the teacher on the dvd give assignments for them to do in all three books everyday or are they alternated? THanks in advance for your help.

I believe BJU does individual courses at that level.

Beka does all the lit, spelling, grammar in the same lesson. I don't remember if they do lit, say three days a week, but it's not broken into separate classes. Spelling usually starts a week or two into the course and goes for the rest of the year, one list a week.

Thank you for your help.... I really appreciate it. Is the Abeka dvd academy worth it.

I believe BJU does individual courses at that level.

Beka does all the lit, spelling, grammar in the same lesson. I don't remember if they do lit, say three days a week, but it's not broken into separate classes. Spelling usually starts a week or two into the course and goes for the rest of the year, one list a week.

I would recommend that if your daughter is getting the lessons that you don't require her to do every last exercise. For instance, if they say mark these 20 sentences and diagram them, and she gets the first five correct, then she could stop. A lot of Beka is busy work because it's made for a classroom of multiple students. I can't speak to BJU's video program on that point.

I'm pretty sure you can get a sample CD of lessons. I don't know if BJU does and I'm not sure how they compare on price, but I would try to look at both plans and see which one would work better for you.

I like English and if I had the choice of teaching eighth grade Beka English or doing the video, I'd do video. Then again, I wouldn't have my kids diagraming sentences, but that's just me.

Thank you for your help. I am going to look into this more before I do make a decision. I did not like the ABeka Grammar book this year. I didnt know how to teach it because there were only a brief discussion about it in the book before each lesson. I did Bob jones english with her last year and liked it better, it is more explanitory to me. I may just go ahead and use the bob jones english with her. I willl also check out their dvd program. I may call them and see what they have. She did not go through her whole english book last year because it was so big and we started homeschooling after she had already gone through 9 weeks in public school but she seemed to like the bob jones english better than this Abeka.

I would recommend that if your daughter is getting the lessons that you don't require her to do every last exercise. For instance, if they say mark these 20 sentences and diagram them, and she gets the first five correct, then she could stop. A lot of Beka is busy work because it's made for a classroom of multiple students. I can't speak to BJU's video program on that point.

I'm pretty sure you can get a sample CD of lessons. I don't know if BJU does and I'm not sure how they compare on price, but I would try to look at both plans and see which one would work better for you.

I like English and if I had the choice of teaching eighth grade Beka English or doing the video, I'd do video. Then again, I wouldn't have my kids diagraming sentences, but that's just me.