Menu

Switched on Schoolhouse Reviews

susancollins

Guest skjnoble
I have been looking at switched on schoolhouse since the beginning of the year. My daughter will be in 3rd grade next year. If you could please share with me the pros and cons of the program and your likes and dislikes. Thanks so much! Susan

Hi Susan, We use SOS for my ds who is in 6th--7th grade year. We started when he was in 4th grade and we've been using it ever since. It gets a bad rap, but overall, we've really found it helpful, but, of course, it fits what we need regarding our lifestyle and the way my son learns best, so far. I started using it when I found out the Duggers were using it.

Pros: *My experience is that it's gotten technologically easier over the past years. Not as many bugs. I've found the customer service to always be extremely helpful. *The curriculum is good at times, but light at other times. It probably averages out to about a 6 in the grand scheme of things. It's not the best, it's not the worst. *It was perfect for my son who easily gets distracted by anything and could be shut away in a quiet room to just focus. *It's reading intensive, and I like that if he doesn't follow the instructions, he won't get a good "grade" which can help in comprehension. *We have two much younger children, so it helps free me up when I need to work with our 1st grader or keep our toddler from writing on the walls. :)

Cons: It's probably not going to get your child into Harvard--or possibly community college. I feel like you definitely need to supplement, so if you're counting on this being an all-in-one curriculum, you might be better off looking for something else. I've supplemented with most of the suggestions from easyclassical.com, so we've been okay. Also, the curriculum can get a bit boring so we try to do something special on Friday to mix it up a bit. My homeschooling mentor mentioned that it's also good to add in different curriculums anyway so the student gets used to hearing and seeing different types of directions and terms. That's worked really well for us.

Let me know if you need any other information. I think I might be one of the few that SOS has really worked well for us all around.

Blessings! Kim :)