Menu

Equal time on subjects?

Do you spend equal time on math and phonics in the younger grades? (Before starting grammar and other language arts.) Our math is much more time intensive - we breeze through phonics and reading. Not that math is a struggle, there just seems a lot more to cover - facts, lesson, worksheets, review of skip counting... I'm curious if this is normal? (I realize we are working at a higher level with our math, but we also are with our phonics, so don't base this on typical K work, which my siggy indicates we are in.)

I spend however much time a subject needs, and the curriculum choice will sometimes affect the time taken as well. In our house, math and phonics/spelling take similar amounts of time right now for my first grader (about 20 minutes). If one took longer than the other, that'd be fine.

I spend however much time a subject needs, and the curriculum choice will sometimes affect the time taken as well. In our house, math and phonics/spelling take similar amounts of time right now for my first grader (about 20 minutes). If one took longer than the other, that'd be fine.

My oldest breezed through phonics, and math was always longer. My 2nd dd was equal on both. My 3rd dd spent more time on phonics and my ds also spends more time on phonics.

Go with what the child needs.

Heather