Menu

Trivium Academy--Please tell me more about History Scribe

Jessica,

I saw that History Scribe was #2 in your list of items worth the cost and applicable for multi ages. I've never heard of it. Just checked it out a little via your link. I'm starting TOG Yr 1 Redesigned with my 3 girls in the fall and I'm curious how much you use History Scribe in connection with TOG. My girls definitely connect to art and the creative process, so this is interesting to me. Will you tell me a little more about your experience? In your opinion, are these a must have for me this coming year? Which books?

Thanks in advance!

but when I switched over to TOG, I didn't want to do everything so notebooking went out the window for a while. Here's one we did when we were trying to do SOTW and TOG

Aug13_17Historynarration.jpg

My dd7 now enjoys drawing on her own and coloring most of the time for her studies. Right now I'm contemplating using either the pages above and pasting clipart on them from Homeschool in the Woods or using the History Scholar pages, picture below. I do like History Scholar which is also included in the history scribe package as the high school level stuff but I don't see why it couldn't be used younger

HS-S-Page1-Example.gif

Copied from History Scribe website (owner knows)

This could be a great way to cover the main threads of each week in notebook form, including a person or group of people and document books read that week (or reading assignments).

They have pages for everything history, including scientists, musicians, authors, mythological figures and more- and they can be used in multiple ways.

I think $20 for notebooking pages for K-12 for all history topics which adds accountability (who wants to leave an empty page?) and allows a kid to have a canvas to create on without being intimidated by an empty notebook page is a great deal.

Thanks, Jessica!

So are you allowed to make copies of anything/everything in the package for you family's use? Eg....you used some of the high school items for your grammar aged kids. Wondering if you are allowed to copy or if, at the reasonable price, you use it as you see fit and are willing to replace later if you need to.

Looks very interesting!

The file(s) are either available on CD or you can download the file, you can print out as many as you would like for your own family. Having a file allows you to print only the ones you want instead of printing them all.

Have you seen the HistoryScribe website? It'll tell you all that is included within each product- History Scribe, Geo Scribe, Bible Scribe, etc.

:) Hope this helps

We transitioned from using SOTW on its own to TOG in mid-year and it took me a while to figure out how "we" wanted to use TOG. I simplified our history time until I found the balance that I thought would work.

Now that I'm comfortable with TOG and what amount of workload is appropriate for dd7- what she can do, what stretches her just enough, etc. I plan on adding notebooking back into our routine.

I was making mistakes when I was using just SOTW- I had above-level copywork, dd7 was narrating unsuccessfully from SOTW, etc. I've made a lot of changes this year in our homeschool and I've redistributed what we work on and in what subjects. Copywork is done within LA now, and next year it will be also be done in spelling so having it in history also is too much. For me, it's about streamlining and finding a delicate balance just for dd7 and that isn't as simple as just figuring out one subject but how much work is in all our subjects and how the complement each other appropriately.

I consider how much writing, reading, drawing, math, etc. is done in all our subjects and work from there to make our lessons short and workload appropriate. For a while having notebooking in history was more time-consuming than I was willing to allow.

Notebooking will be added back in, the hows and how often is what is still in question for me but if I were to use anything type of notebooking product, it would be History Scribe, in either format that I pictured in the above post.

Personally, I see notebooking as a way for a student to own the information they have learned. They have heard it (read aloud), read it (ind. reading), possibly done a project/mapwork that reinforces understanding of abstract concepts like geography, what life was like during another time, etc. but they need to also synthesize the information themselves and produce some type of output after they've feasted on the information in different forms.

Interruptions...I hope this post makes sense and answers the question b/c ds3 just took my concentration away. :tongue_smilie:

Jessica,

I am so drawn to all of your insight. What a blessing to have access through the internet to discuss and reflect. I can't thank you enough. I'm sure there are more questions to come..........:) We have been in a University Model Classical School (2 days a week), but we will exclusively homeschool next year. Thus, I too am trying to figure out what is enough and too much......................... My children are 5 boy, 6 girl, 9 boyand 11 girl. TOG looks wonderful. If you have any advice about Yr. 2 in general, I would love to hear it.

THANKS and God Bless!

Renee

I somewhat hesitate posting this, but I was not very happy with History Scribe. I bought their Civil War set and they had misspelled secession and secede. They had Succession, succeed, and sucede. I couldn't figure out how to fix the problem myself, nor did I get any response from the company when I e-mailed them. I think the concept is great, but the spelling errors made much of the product that I purchased unusable.

I use these free pages with TOG (scroll down a bit). They provide basically the same thing, only I can choose what I want to put in them. I spend a little time at the beginning of each unit choosing what I want to highlight and then I choose which pages I will use. You can see samples here if you scroll down a bit.

Mindy,

Thanks for the notebooking link! I checked out your notebooking pages and was curious...where did you get the little doodads that you put on your pages? Are those from the lapbook CD/kit from TOG?

TIA!