Menu

Incorporating new baby into science curriculum

happypamama

Since we're expecting a new baby right at the beginning of next school year, our children will obviously be getting a hands-on course in human growth, development, and care. Since our state requires a portfolio and whatnot, it seems like I should incorporate that into DD's science curriculum. I'm thinking maybe once a month or so, DD could write a couple of sentences noting what the baby has learned to do that month, or something. I don't want to get too bogged down, though, because I want her just to enjoy our baby without thinking about turning it into schoolwork, y'know? I just thought the baby (which she's very excited about, especially if it turns out to be the long-awaited baby sister) would be a fun and obvious science topic.

If anyone else has ideas on how I might use what we're doing naturally in a way that would also satisfy my state's portfolio requirements, I'd love to hear them! (DD will be a 4th grader; DS1, who will be in 1st, is not required to report to the state next year, so we don't need anything formal for him. If DD was in high school, I'd be giving her home ec type credit for baby care, but I don't need that yet. Just biology-type credit.) Seems like a waste for something that's going to occupy a lot of everyone's time not to count for something official.

I have no idea what your state requires but I do know that some portfolio reviewers and officials frown up calling all the skills and lessons learned when a new sibling is born "school" They really just don't agree that kids could actually be learning when mom is caring for a new baby. These are usually the same officials that think all kids are better off in preschool because all moms know how to do is plop their darling kiddos in front of the tv all day.

Anywho, all that aside, I'm sure if you do some free writing assignments with her or journal entries if she enjoys those kinds of things, she would write about her experiences with the baby naturally because it's the pervading theme in her life right now. You could do a more formal unit on the human body and include as much of reproduction as you feel comfortable with. But like you said I wouldn't turn the baby into a school project. Congratulations by the way. ;)

I don't know what you would consider too bogged down, but I think keeping track of the baby's growth as compared to the growth charts (WHO if you're breastfeeding and CDC if you're not or if you're mixing bf and formula) would be good. It wouldn't be too hard, but would allow her to see where the baby was in percentages and such. Obviously that's not enough for a full science load, but it would be a little something. :)

We did this a long time ago. Ds #2 (age 13) was the subject. He's my only child with three baby books. :)

I got a blank growth chart and we plotted weight, length, and head circumference after every pediatrician visit.

I got a vaccination chart. We read about every disease that the shots were preventing. We discussed why I agree to some and refuse others. We read stories about people who actually suffered from those diseases. (FDR-polio, Mary Ingalls - probable measles, there were more but I can't remember them) We charted the shots when he got them and wrote down any reactions.

I got a DDST chart (Denver Developmental Screening Test). We tested him once a month and charted his progress. I taught them the newborn reflexes and we watched as those disappeared over the year.

We measured the fontanel once a month and noted how much smaller it was becoming. (It actually may become larger in the first few weeks depending on the delivery.)

We did a compare/contrast chart with baby kittens vs. baby humans. We noted how much faster a kitten achieves mobility, ability to feed self, and final maturity.

We had so much fun! You brought back a lot of precious memories for me. My two science students are off at college now and my "baby" is sitting here doing his Latin. :)

I got a DDST chart (Denver Developmental Screening Test). We tested him once a month and charted his progress. I taught them the newborn reflexes and we watched as those disappeared over the year.

We did a compare/contrast chart with baby kittens vs. baby humans. We noted how much faster a kitten achieves mobility, ability to feed self, and final maturity.

We had so much fun! You brought back a lot of precious memories for me. My two science students are off at college now and my "baby" is sitting here doing his Latin. :)

I liked all the great ideas in this thread, but these two would probably really appeal to my DD. She has always been the younger siblings' biggest cheerleader as they learn new skills, and she adores kittens. I never would have thought of the compare/contrast chart -- thanks!