Menu

Question about portfolios..

I know this is going to sound completely ignorant to you veteran homeschoolers, but regarding portfolios......My state requires us to keep one, but then what? Who do I show it to? Is it simply in case I am asked for it? I homeschool under 3rd option, if that makes a difference. This is my first year and I'm still learning. :001_smile:

Hi! :) I'm in South Carolina.

In Florida we have to have an evaluation done by a state certified teacher each year. She reviews the portfolio and then gives dd a test. After that she gives me a pass/fail paper that I send in to the school board. Not sure what the requirements are in SC though.

Since no one else has jumped in, I just did a bit of Googling.

If you use the "third option", then you belong to some kind of association, yes? All of the associations have different requirements for their members. In some cases, your portfolio must be reviewed, in other cases, it seems like you simply tell them that you are keeping a portfolio. You would have to contact your association or visit their web site (if they have one) to see what they require.

I know this is going to sound completely ignorant to you veteran homeschoolers, but regarding portfolios......My state requires us to keep one, but then what? Who do I show it to? Is it simply in case I am asked for it? I homeschool under 3rd option, if that makes a difference. This is my first year and I'm still learning. :001_smile:

I'm in SC, also using 3rd option.

Your association will require different documentation. I've used 2 different associations (using one with less paperwork this year!). I believe the only time you'd need to show anyone the portfolio would be if you were questioned. And under those circumstances, you'd want to call your organization and let them know immediately as well.

I hang onto the portfolio - it gives us a good indication of progress. I keep attendance records, any testing results, and the required 2 progress reports (grades) - and documentation from the accountability association.

This is our 3rd year homeschooling. I've never shown anyone anything - and just have mailed in the required documentation to the accountability group.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions - or maybe other SC residents will post as well :)