Menu

New house - need recommendations!

We are (pending inspection) moving into a house that has all real hardwood floors on the main floor. We are new to the hardwood thing.

What is the best dust mop and wet mop for hardwood?

How do you go about protecting the floor from furniture? Are those felt things you can buy at Wal-Mart good enough?

We are getting rugs for the rooms too...any non skid products BAD for hardwood?

Also, it has plantation shutters in ALL the windows (loving that!) Anything special that I need to do to make them last forever in TX sun?

And there is a long but narrow sunroom that I get to turn into a craft/art studio. Anyone have any suggestions for decor or furniture? It has tile floor, and brick walls.

I just used a dust mop and occassionally a swiffer on my hardwoods. I loved them! Sigh, we moved and now have laminate. I despise the stuff!

For rugs, you can buy non skid pads to place under them that work well. You need something under them to protect the hardwoods. Often rugs are very rough underneath and will scratch the wood. In a pinch once I just used a thin blanket under a rug that was anchored at each corner by furniture.

Since we rarely moved furniture I had no need for pads under the legs. I did however go to the hardware store and purchase the ones that nail into the legs of my dining room chairs because they were rough.