Menu

Montessori Homeschooling

I am trying to find creditable resources for this. Does anyone have maybe a good resource list, yahoo group, most importantly, curriculum providers for this method. I googled and came up with very little that is useful It is hard to know what is a credible source. Thank you!

I am trying to find creditable resources for this. Does anyone have maybe a good resource list, yahoo group, most importantly, curriculum providers for this method. I googled and came up with very little that is useful It is hard to know what is a credible source. Thank you!

If I could afford it I would get this:

NAMC

My friend has the 3-6 and 6-9 curriculum and she has found the 6-9 most useful. Her kids go to a Montessori school but she is homeschooling this year and has set up her home for it. It is pricey though and this is why I am looking to see if there are ways I can implement certain elements of the approach. Anyway, my friend's dealings with NAMC have been very good (the company is very professional) and they have a good reputation if you google info on them.

Here's another that was linked for me here on the WTM forums:

Montessori Research and Development

And here's a thread I had started a little while ago if it can help you in any way:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232617&highlight=s%2Fo+montessori

Edited by Guest

We are homeschooling using the montessori method. There aren't many curriculums as out there. There are several yahoo groups, some free some that charge. I took the world wide Montessori course and it was ok. There is a group called playschool6 that is good, but it isn't a currriculum. The other curriculums I've found are New Child Montessori and Montessori Research and Development. I haven't personally tried either of them. The reason you you won't find many Montessori curriculums is because you are supposed to build your own curriculum (commonly called albums) based on your observations of following your child.

There are several blogs I follow to get ideas from

Sew Liberated, one of my favorites. Her ds is quite a bit younger than my children so I use mainly for ideas on The Prepared Environment.

Montessori goldmine, is a blog that is a collection of Montessori ideas from other blogs. It's a great starting place, and will lead you to a lot of other blogs.

Chasing Cheerios and counting coconuts are good introductory blogs as well. I don't follow them much anymore though be causes they both do a TON of practical life and when they're not doing practical life its sensorial and my girls are much more into math and language.

My Montessori Journey is another one of my favs. It's written by a montessori primary teacher. She makes a ton if her materials from things she finds at thrift stores and also does a lot of extensions.

My all time best find is the Margaret Homfray videos. She was a student of Maria Montessori and later studied under her.

Cultivated Lives

Homemade Montessori

Iffy Bitty Love

The Work Plan

A Montessori Musing Place

Mi Esquelita Montessori

Eclectic Living

Spell out loud

I hope this helps. I too was frustrated when I first dived into montessori but I soon realized that once I had a good grasp on the montessori method, the less I needed outside help. The Montessori method is just that, a method, a style, a way of parenting, living, teaching, almost a culture really. It isn't something you can just pick up a boxed curriculum for.

Thanks for all the info so far. Nothing like Oak Meadow but with a Montessori slant, then?

I don't think you will find something like that. Montessori has lots of hands on materials which need space in the home. It is another thing that is holding me back besides the cost. If you like the philosophy you could read Montessori's books (that's what I am trying to do) and see how you can implement parts of the philosophy in your home ;).