Menu

Wooden Math Manipulatives?

Does anyone know a source for wooden math manipulatives like the ones needed for McRuffy Math? How about for the science supplies needed? I am trying to rid our home of plastic toys as the noise is not compatiable with hearing aids.

Thank you!

Edited by Guest

I might not be much help, but I see you haven't gotten a reply yet. I would just suggest looking at eBay, Rainbow Resource, Amazon, etc. I would search for wood (which can still make some noise), or foam. There are a lot of manipulatives that are made of foam now (pattern blocks, tangrams). Some of McRuffy's manipulatives are foam, like the large colored cubes.

In my previous life (prior to HS) I was a teacher for the deaf/ hard of hearing, so I am particularly sensitive to your issue. We used all kids of neat manipulatives including:

Mini erasers (buy in bulk from Oriental Trading Co)

Rubbery dinosaurs/bears/sea animals/fruits (Lakeshore Learning)

Foam blocks (Target)

Vinyl cling shapes (use on small dry erase boards/windows/even walls)

Small food items (cereal, Nerds candies, Mini-M&Ms...)

Beads (wooden/plastic)

Plastic ants (this was a favorite!)

AL Abcus...though if the kids don't learn to use it calmly/respectfully, the sliding sound of the beads did bother some of my students.

HTH,

Val