Menu

What is the best FIAR volume for 6 & 7 yo boys?

Mommy7

My 6yo boy enjoyed the first one b/c he LOVED the Virginia Burton books (Mike Mulligan and Katy). He as obcessed with Mike Mulligan for some time. ;) We really enjoyed the other stories as well. Of vourse, Vol 1 is the only one we did so I can't speak to the others. Generally speaking each Vol. gets more challenging so that your boys, depending on their ability level, would prob fit better in the later Vols. Make sense?

We spend maybe 30 mins a day on FIAR lessons. I do add to it though.

My guess is vol 3 (out of 1-3) would be more interesting for a 7 yo boy. Here are the books:

The Bee Tree- main characters are a girl and her g.father. They chase a bee (leaning about bees would be fun for boys)

Andy and the Circus- oop I have no idea

Wild Horses of Sweetbriar- main character is a girl, but learning about horses and islands would be guyish.

Paul Revere's Ride- nuff said :)

Henry the Castway- guy adventure to *uncharted territory*

The Finest Horse in Town- women are the main characters but you cover time, horses, there are sub stories that include a man and a boy, 4th of July

Truman's Aunt Farm- main character is a boy who inherits aunts. Study ants

Duchess Bakes a Cake- main character is a duchess but you could get into the middle ages with nights and castles

Andy and the Lion- self explanatory

Daniel's Duck- mountain life, carving,

Warm as Wool- cover sheep, wagons, log cabins, banjo

Salamander Room- insects and salamanders

Climbing Kansas Mountain- main characters boy and dad enjoy an outting

Amber on the Mountain- most girly of all the books, but you could get into mountain life

Little Ninos Pisseria- Dad enjoys son's help in the family business

Edited by Susie in MS

I would probably also choose Vol. 3! :) We loved Salamander Room and Truman's Aunt Farm!!

There is another post pretty close to the top on FIAR just from today too...

I have lots of FIAR posts on my blog, here is my FIAR category.

And if you scroll down on this page, you can click on individual titles that we have rowed and see what we did with them.

It doesn't take long to do FIAR and have fun with it! We generally start our day on the couch with devotions, memory work and a few books to read - our FIAR title being one of them.

Then, we might have a few discussion type lessons while we are still looking through the book sitting on the couch, etc.

I generally print things from HSS or Enchanted Learning, etc to go with books, sometimes we do a lapbook, sometimes a craft here and there...and that will take a little bit of time, but usually around 30 minutes is all we do with FIAR each day!

HTH!

I disagree that each volume of FIAR gets more challenging, but when I say that, I'm referring to the original first three volumes. I think those three are fairly equal in ability, and are meant to be done all in one school year. (Though they don't HAVE to be done all in one school year... you can pick and choose from FIAR quite easily.)

Volume 4 was added later for those who have a child that's not quite ready to go into Beyond FIAR, but who's already done the first three volumes, and Volume 4 *is* a bit more challenging. Then from there you would either go on to Beyond, or switch to a different curriculum.

Donna is right, I didn't understand that anyone was saying the other volumes were harder, maybe I just misunderstood...

But volumes 1-3 are for the same age group 4-8yr olds. They can be used in any order...

Vol. 4 was written for 7-8yr olds who might be ready for a bit more...

However, i have used all volumes with all of my kids ages and have had great success in just "beefing up" the units I needed more for and "toning down" any of the books I wanted to include my 5yr old in! :)