Menu

Killgallon vs. MCT?

TrixieB

I need a writing program of some type for my 4th grader. I have never done any formal writing instruction with her... probably because she complains about any writing she has to do. She doesn't know how to write a paragraph. She can write a grammatically correct sentence, but not necessarily a complex one.

So, I have been looking at online samples Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary School and MCT Sentence Island.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the Killgallon materials and MCT's materials? I wish I could look at them IRL. I don't even know if the levels I listed would be the right ones for my dd. She complains if she perceives the work as "babyish" or "goody-goody" (Rod & Staff meets her second definition), but she cries if it is too difficult. Sigh.

Help!

I haven't used the "island" level yet but the writing in the "town" level is pretty challenging.

Killgallon Story Grammar for Elementary School did wonders to help my DD improve her sentence writing. She went from stringing together a bunch of short, basic S-V-O sentences to being able to write ones with much more complexity and variety.

My younger kids will do MCT before starting Killgallon in order to learn the grammatical terminology. DD is finding Killgallon Grammar for Middle School a lot easier because she now has a much better understanding of the various phrases and clauses from MCT's "town" level.

In terms of learning to write paragraphs, I really like The Paragraph Book series by EPS. It is designed for remedial use in middle school but IMHO deserves a wider audience.