Menu

History at our House reviews wanted!

I have looked over the website and am still unclear how this works. My understanding is the child listens to the downloads and there are no assignments? I am looking at 6th grade here. Is that correct?

I have looked over the website and am still unclear how this works. My understanding is the child listens to the downloads and there are no assignments? I am looking at 6th grade here. Is that correct?

There are not many assignments. On a weekly basis, by son will read over the class notes, make some study notes, complete a geography worksheet. Starting after several months, the students will be strongly encouraged to do daily facts practice (memorizing dates and events) which takes 2 minutes. Maybe every 4-6 weeks, there will be a writing assignment. Every 4-6 weeks, there is test preparation and test.

We are in our 2nd year of junior high level. 6th grade is considered upper elementary, so there may be less than at the junior high level.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

You can listen to the lectures, or pay extra to participate in the class. I am still doing the Upper Elementary classes, next year we will move up to Jr. High.

In the U.E. level, he provides weekly class notes, that are extensive and thorough. He will do occasional tests (which require written answers) where he does a pre-test where he helps the kids in the class organize their answers etc. How you want to administer the test yourself is up to you.

He also has weekly Geography work, he has a nice map & key that the kid fills in. There are also Geography tests.

Once a week he does History Through Art, where he selects a piece of artwork that is based on the historical period, and they discuss and analyze the painting. It is a very nice addition to the class.

I know that the higher level classes have more outside work.

My kids love Mr. Powell.

I am right now trying to get my boys to make comics and lego/claymation about their classes. So far my oldest has started his "Pirky & Felix Travel though Time " series with the Salem Witch Trials. (those are his cartoon characters, they're cats). It is sort of like H.G.Wells meets Garfield. ;)

We just started the new Music at our House and he has assigned a short writing assignment for each lecture.

Does this help?