Menu

Has anyone used TruthQuest History for HS?

My daughter uses Truthquest. It is a good fit for her. She likes using the literature approach to history. I purchase a few spines and use the guide to pick out books from the library for several topics. I also belong to the Yahoo group and they are always to give help in picking out a book, scheduling, etc. There are sample schedules on the group files.

I guess we would stop using it if she wasn't doing well with it. Any dislikes would be due to scheduling. I like the idea of having a schedule already provided on a day by day basis, but I know I would't follow it. So, I spend a few weeks during the summer laying out the schedule for the year.

Thank you for your input. This sounds like a wonderful program, but I am worried that it might take up too much of my time. I have a dd13, dd10, ds9, and ds7. DD13 is very independent, but the other three have many, many needs. I don't want my daughter to fall behind in history because she is waiting on me to do TQ as a family. I am also thinking about Notgrass or MFW. I love the idea of TQ, just not sure how realistic it is for my family. I need to pray about it!

~NMG

8th year of homeschooling

I had planned on using TQ for dd this year, and ordered a couple of the books. I LOVE their ideas! Then I heard about and looked at MFW. I love how MFW is laid out and the things it pulls in. It's easy to use and very organized----just what I was looking for! :) It costs more than TQ, but I am just not organized enough to pull everything together (some people LOVE doing that though!), so we went with MFW and dd loves it, and is doing very well with it! We're going with MFW for 10th grade next year as well.

If your dd13 is an independent worker, I think she will do fine with MFW with some guidance from you. DD prefers doing it mostly on her own. We disscuss and go over certain things, and she does the rest. Your dd may also do very well with TQ, she'd just have more to pull together.

I still love the look of TQ! I think either one you use will be very good! TQ would take more planning. MFW is laid out. I think it's whichever way you prefer it!

Edited by Brindee

Thank you for your input about TQ and MFW! It is so nice to hear what others have to say! I don't know anyone personally who has used MFW, but I see many people online talking about it. Those who have used it seem to really like it. I spoke with one of the Hazell sons at the convention last summer and was very impressed. Three of my children are Russian and I was very moved by the Hazell's involvement with Bible translations there.

~NMG

Thank you for your input about TQ and MFW! It is so nice to hear what others have to say! I don't know anyone personally who has used MFW, but I see many people online talking about it. Those who have used it seem to really like it. I spoke with one of the Hazell sons at the convention last summer and was very impressed. Three of my children are Russian and I was very moved by the Hazell's involvement with Bible translations there.

~NMG

We're only part way through our first year of using MFW, but it's a definite hit here! If I was not using MFW, I'd be using TQ.

Deciding between TQ and MFW is hard, they're both so good! I wish you the best as you decide!

We have used TQ for many years and I think that may be one reason my younger son loves history. Yes, it does require some planning, but the flip side is that it gives you lots of flexibility that a laid out curriculum often takes away. All depends on the kind of person you are. I would use it all over again, I love it that much, but I don't mind planning and I don't like my schedule laid out for me.

Yolanda

We have used TQ for many years and I think that may be one reason my younger son loves history. Yes, it does require some planning, but the flip side is that it gives you lots of flexibility that a laid out curriculum often takes away. All depends on the kind of person you are. I would use it all over again, I love it that much, but I don't mind planning and I don't like my schedule laid out for me.

Yolanda

:thumbup1: Exactly! If I was more like you, I'd probably have just kept the TQ and gone with it, since I did buy 2 of the levels! :tongue_smilie:

Oh, btw, by all laid out, I mean it has the plans laid out...we still tweak by adding or taking away or whatever seems best, I just don't have to do hours of research to try to pull together a complete program from nothing. I don't have the time or energy for that, I get overwhelmed! So, I like that it's already laid out in order so I can more easily tweak! :D

My daughter uses Truthquest. It is a good fit for her. She likes using the literature approach to history. I purchase a few spines and use the guide to pick out books from the library for several topics. I

Any dislikes would be due to scheduling.

We are using TQ this year with my 16yo dd. We were just discussing yesterday whether or not she was liking this approach to history. She said yes. We are using two spines and filling in with literature and other books. Her opinion was that reading about history this way was much preferred to a textbook. She feels that she is learning and retaining more than last year.

The funny thing is, we were using MFW AH&L last year. It was a great program and dd enjoyed most of it, but it was a lot of work and we found it easy to fall behind. (We are a little more relaxed around here and dd has Asperger's). She read some great books...The Illiad, The Odyssey, Bulfinch's Greek Mythology, and the whole Old Testament. However, there was no extra time to explore a bunny trail, no extra time to spend another week on a topic of interest, because of the schedule.

I agree that the downside to TQ is the schedule...or lack of it I should say ;) I tried to make up my own schedule, but that easily got sidetracked. But that is also the beauty of TQ. You CAN take those bunny trails or spend another week (or two or three) learning more about a subject. I'm still not sure how many weeks she spent on King Arthur :D She watched a couple documentaries on Camelot and King Arthur and Merlin. Read multiple books. We watched a poorly done movie called "Merlin," etc.

I supplement with the "Invitation to the Classics" book and the "British Literature Parallel Text" (which is used in MFW World History).

My original plan was to continue with MFW World History this year, but I knew that I needed to be flexible in our schedule this year (friends being home on furlough for 6 months) and I knew how easy it was to get behind in MFW and how frustrating that was. TQ has been a great fit for our purposes (and a breath of fresh air!) and I will more than likely continue with it next year. That is, if we finish this year :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for all your suggestions! I decided to go with MFW AHL! I like the idea of the lesson plans for my dd to use independently. I hadn't even thought of MFW until I read what everyone was saying about it.

~needmoregrace

Glad you've made your decision...congratulations! I don't think you'll regret it, it's an awesome program!