Menu

A good secular history curriculum?

Guest rockytriton

Guest rockytriton

Hi, I have two kids (7 and 10) who my wife is primarily homeschooling but I do the history and science. Science is no problem, I make up the curriculum myself and generally make sure that they know at least what is covered in the standards of learning for their grade level. Last year was our first year and things went pretty well, we did all of 4th grade for her and K/1st for him.

So back to the point, last year I mainly just read through the Kingfisher book with my daughter and explained the topics, quizzed her a little bit but now I want to get more deep into the work. She is at 5th grade level now. I'm really not sure what to have her do now. I was thinking of going over the kingfisher stuff with her again but maybe having her do some summaries of the sections. I'd really like to focus more on the middle ages right now and slowly work our way up. Does anyone know of a good curriculum which isn't something silly like coloring pictures or cut & paste stuff, but not too difficult for a 5th grader? And please not one of those "from creation, 6,000 years ago, to the present" style books. It doesn't need to be secular really, I just don't want something by young earth creationists. I'm having a little trouble getting motivated to create a curriculum myself for this, also the kingfisher book is a little boring and doesn't go into much detail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you might be happy doing history a la WTM logic stage. If you are doing middle ages then you would be in year two of the history cycle.

That seems like the obvious choice though, so maybe you have tried it and were unhappy?

If you look in the subforum for teaching logic stage students you will see several threads on history.