Menu

help me find a microscope

I felt the same way- and they are so expensive. I asked my local private school if they had any to sell. They sold me a really nice one for $60.00. It was a several hundred dollar one used for their high school classes. They had several because they got new ones.

If you have any private or public schools I would call or email their science department. If they have any they will be willing to make some $$ rather that throw them away.

We love our Duo-Scope. It has two light sources, one below and one above. So, you can look at objects from two perspectives. The lower light shines through slides and thin specimens. The upper light shines down on solid objects like insects and other little things to just make them look huge, but still have their natural color and shape. It has been super interesting to switch back and forth between the two lights to get a better idea of what the object looks like.

The lights are LEDs, so they don't get hot, and they give a bright, white light.

It has three objective lenses (4X, 10X, and 40X, I think). It comes with accessories that add to the experience. I got it from Amazon.com for about $63.00. You can see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NOU54O/ref=oss_product

We also just got a Duo-Scope. My avid scientist son, 11yo, is really enjoying it. So far, everything seems good quality. It came with plenty of "extras" to help get him going.

I don't know if you have a Mardel's store where you live, but they carry this microscope and you could use a 40% off coupon for it.