Menu

Can someone explain weighted grades to me?

Hi all,

I am working on my 9th grade dd's transcript. I am trying to understand the difference between weighted vs. non-weighted grades. Can someone who has BTDT give me some guidance?

TIA

Traditional honor points are associated as follows: A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, F = 0. At some schools, a five point scale is used for honors (multiply the above by 1.25) or a six point scale for AP (multiply the traditional honor points by 1.5). This is how one sees a high school graduate with a GPA of 5.25 or something above 4.

Note that many colleges erase weights and return the grades to the traditional system. Since not all schools use the same weights, it is hard to compare GPAs otherwise.

I would not see any need for a homeschool to weigh final grades.

Jane

I agree with Jane's answer. I too am not intending to use weighted grades even though my teen will have several outside the home AP courses and some community college grades. Many college applications ask whether the school uses weighted grades; I intend to answer "no".

Regards,

Kareni

I weighted grades but only 1 class that I did at home (Alg. II& Trig. using Foersters), because ds took 3 honors classes at the local high school and they weighted them. I thought it would be too confusing to not weight them since the transcript from the school had them that way. Regular was A=5, B=4, C=3, etc. and honors was A=6, B=5, etc. At that time, they did not weight AP classes but now they do.

Note that many colleges erase weights and return the grades to the traditional system. Since not all schools use the same weights, it is hard to compare GPAs otherwise.

I would not see any need for a homeschool to weigh final grades.

Jane

All of the more selective colleges to which our sons applied stated that they wanted unweighted grades.

a transcript now for my kids. My oldest and middle girls have done what I would consider one honors-level course, and I was debating whether or not to weight it. After reading these posts, I think I'll leave it unweighted and see what the guidance counselor at the school we're considering thinks.

Thanks for the info.!

a transcript now for my kids. My oldest and middle girls have done what I would consider one honors-level course, and I was debating whether or not to weight it. After reading these posts, I think I'll leave it unweighted and see what the guidance counselor at the school we're considering thinks.

Thanks for the info.!

Better than weighting the grade would be an indication on the transcript (and in your course description) that the course was "honors".