Menu

Typing Instructor vs. Typing Instructor for Kids

If I wanted to get one of these for my 10 y/o daughter who has had some typing instruction (using a free online program in the earlier part of last year's school year, but hasn't really used the skills she learned since and seems to have forgotten almost everything she learned and now needs to start a typing program all over again)...

Would you get Typing Instructor, or Typing Instructor For Kids?

Thanks!

We used Typing Instructor for Kids (started last year, did more this year). It seems pretty limited to me. I think it was a really good introduction for my son - starting at age 7. At age 10, I'd be going with Typing Instructor (even not having seen it).

After my son worked through TIfK a couple of times, I got a version of Mavis Beacon and he's working through it now. The challenge is definitely higher. He uses capitals more regularly than he was and he's learning 10-key too.

I had the same question when we updated our computer (old "for Kids" CD didn't work in new computer), so I called the company to ask. The representative said that that they recommend the "for Kids" version for children under 8yo, and the adult version for anyone over 8yo. I got the adult version for my kids, then age 10 and 12, and I was very glad. They both liked it much better than the Kids version.

The non-Kid version is set up like a passport. You "visit" different countries as you work through the rows of keys, and get stamps in your passport as rewards. It's not cutesy and cartoony like the Kid version. And you don't have to navigate through all the annoying cartoon screens and monologues. You just go to the program, practice your typing, and you're done.