Menu

Lively Latin BB2 users...how young were your dc when you started? And more...

SophiaH

My dd just turned 9 this week and is doing 3rd grade level work. She finished LLBB1 today, and I *still* can't decide what to do next. I'm a little concerned about the scope and pace of BB2, and that it will be too much for dd. She loves LL, and has done fairly well with it. She has trouble with memorization and even though she has worked on vocab daily since starting LL, she still has to look up some of the vocab, especially from the last half of the book. I also usually have to walk her through the first few sentences of an exercise when doing translations; she is still learning how to work step-by-step systematically (is this normal for a 3rd grader, btw?). We have done all the components of LL (except for the History of Rome book) in order to give us more time to try to cement the vocabulary and grammar concepts.

These are the options I'm considering.

1. Move directly into BB2, moving at whatever pace we need to.

Pros: *continuity of scheduling, grammar, vocab, etc.

*Dd enjoys LL

Cons: *At the pace we would probably need to go, it might take us 3 years to get through BB2...ugh!

*Too much? Too fast? Too difficult?

2. Spend the remainder of the semester reviewing all the grammar/vocab from BB1. I've already gone through all dd's worksheets and have pulled out the teaching sections that we could use.

Pros: *Dd would probably benefit from the review. It seems something has clicked in the last few weeks and her translating abilities and understanding have improved.

*Already own BB1 so I wouldn't have to buy anything new right now.

Cons: *We have a baby due in the middle of April, and will probably need something a little less teacher-intensive than this option would be, since I would be "teaching" the whole Latin period.

*Too redundant? (Can Latin BE too redundant when you're going for mastery?!? :confused:)

3. Finish the last half of LC1 that we had started in 2nd grade before beginning LL1. Then move into First Form next year for 4th per MP's recommendation.

Pros: *Already own LC1

*Dd liked the structure of LC1 when we did it.

*Even though I do not like the DVDs and we would not use them right now, it might be good to have that option for when the baby comes.

Cons: *We would lose a lot of what we have worked on in LL since it is a different scope and sequence, different vocab, etc.

*I really don't think I want to switch to Ecclesiastical pronunciation. I would probably try to use classical even with LC1 and the Forms since I wouldn't be using the DVDs with either program.

For the last month, I had my mind set to do #3, but now I'm thinking the other two options would be the better choices...

Long-term goals are for dd to read works proficiently in the original Latin, if that matters. I don't have a particular program right now that I'm trying to get to for Junior High/High School, although I've looked at all the obvious contenders. I really just want to make the best decision NOW, and then we'll move into whatever we need when we get there.

So, I guess my questions are:

1. If you have used/are using BB2, what age did your dc start or what ages are your dc now? How are they faring? Are they advanced academically in other areas?

2. Is there a point in which dc can get way in over their heads with Latin? (Or?) Is it possible to just keep plowing slowly along, and things will continue to click? I'm asking especially wrt Lively Latin...I guess I'm wondering if there will continue to be enough review in grammar and vocab that as we add new stuff, she'll still have plenty of practice with old concepts. Does that make sense? She needs LOTS of review.

I would really appreciate any insights/suggestions/thoughts you might have!

I have a 10 year old and we started LL a couple years ago. We took our time working through LL. Maybe we are in our third year with the first book? For a while we were also studying greek and that slowed us down. We are only doing Latin now.

#1) So what if it takes you years to get through book 2? It is something like 700 pages long. It is meant to take a couple years.

We were juuuust about to finish the book at the end of last school year. I think we were on the penultimate chapter. I heard that LL2 makes a big leap. One person here said something like, "If LL1 is the juice then LL2 is the concentrate." I decided to regroup and spend this year in a review of LL1. I did do all the Roman history the first time around. That was the part my son liked best! This time, I am doing only the grammar and vocab exercises. We do that three times a week and review the vocabulary cards 2 times a week. My son had no issues with memorization of vocab but he is enjoying doing it all again. If we finish all the grammar and vocab before the end of the school year, and we will, I am going to run through Minimus. I own it and it is a fun supplement.

This is my long winded way of saying if I had to make the choice, I would spend this year doing review of what needed to be reviewed. I wouldn't worry about how long it takes to get it down. It is totally possible to get in over one's head. Latin, any language, has steps that must be mastered. If there are holes in the foundation, then skills won't be strong enough when more weight is added. I would err on the side of review and mastery.

I have a 10 year old and we started LL a couple years ago. We took our time working through LL. Maybe we are in our third year with the first book? For a while we were also studying greek and that slowed us down. We are only doing Latin now.

#1) So what if it takes you years to get through book 2? It is something like 700 pages long. It is meant to take a couple years.

Yeah, I would expect it to take about two years normally, and I'd be fine with that. But I'm not sure if I could take doing the same program for 3 years or more. :001_huh: I get bored easily. :rolleyes: But I wouldn't have to go at the same pace the whole time, I guess; I could speed it up as dd gets older and more mature.

We were juuuust about to finish the book at the end of last school year. I think we were on the penultimate chapter. I heard that LL2 makes a big leap. One person here said something like, "If LL1 is the juice then LL2 is the concentrate."
This is my main concern. Will it be more of a leap than dd is ready for, I wonder? The current pace of BB1 is almost perfect for her.

I decided to regroup and spend this year in a review of LL1. I did do all the Roman history the first time around. That was the part my son liked best! This time, I am doing only the grammar and vocab exercises. We do that three times a week and review the vocabulary cards 2 times a week.
We did all the history pages, but just didn't make the book. My dd loves that part too...she's a huge history fan! Your plan of doing only the grammar and vocab exercises the second time through is what I was thinking. I wasn't going to necessarily start all the way at the beginning, but maybe a few chapters in when it gets to some of the grammar concepts that were more difficult and the vocab that she doesn't have down as well. I figure we could finish with a review of LL1 this semester or at least by the fall when we officially start 4th (we do math and latin throughout the summer).

This is my long winded way of saying if I had to make the choice, I would spend this year doing review of what needed to be reviewed. I wouldn't worry about how long it takes to get it down. It is totally possible to get in over one's head. Latin, any language, has steps that must be mastered. If there are holes in the foundation, then skills won't be strong enough when more weight is added. I would err on the side of review and mastery.
Thanks so much for your thoughts! I really appreciate it.

On the LL website there are now tests. I gave ds1 the exams and he did just fine. He scored 85% on the test for chapters 1-4 and that was after no latin for the summer as well as not having studied chapters 1-4 in two years. I thought that wasn't too bad, lol. He scored 80% on the test for chapters 5-8. I stared my review at chapter 5. We are about to be done with chapter 8. Christmas break happened in there. I will retest and see if he does any better.

and :lol: at it being YOU who is worried about getting bored with the same program. I like it when it works like that. I put it in the catagory of 'one less thing to worry about.':party:

I haven't done LL2, but I would do option 3. :D

Do Minimus 1 and 2 without the teacher manual. My oldest didn't have any problem with the translations after finishing LL2. It was really too easy for her, but it kept her skills fresh. Then move on to LL2 later.

I am going to move over to First Form Latin, only because I don't have the time to keep up anymore and the lessons are scripted so I don't have to. I am not happy about it, but something has to give around here. :001_huh:

Heather

On the LL website there are now tests. I gave ds1 the exams and he did just fine. He scored 85% on the test for chapters 1-4 and that was after no latin for the summer as well as not having studied chapters 1-4 in two years. I thought that wasn't too bad, lol. He scored 80% on the test for chapters 5-8. I stared my review at chapter 5.

Thanks for reminding me! I could do that to see where we would need to start!! Yay!

I haven't done LL2, but I would do option 3. :D

Do Minimus 1 and 2 without the teacher manual. My oldest didn't have any problem with the translations after finishing LL2. It was really too easy for her, but it kept her skills fresh. Then move on to LL2 later.

I am going to move over to First Form Latin, only because I don't have the time to keep up anymore and the lessons are scripted so I don't have to. I am not happy about it, but something has to give around here. :001_huh:

Heather

We've dabbled in Minimus. We used to do it on Fridays and we got almost halfway through the book. I had initially thought about adding that into our week if we went with option #3. :D She's definitely a big picture girl, so she might appreciate being allowed to read and get the meaning of stories again for a time without translating word for word. Don't know how she does it :confused:, but it drives me up the wall! :tongue_smilie:

Yes, the structure of FF really appeals to *me*. I like that they give you the list of what to do for recitation, and knowing what we will do each day of the week.

We've dabbled in Minimus. We used to do it on Fridays and we got almost halfway through the book. I had initially thought about adding that into our week if we went with option #3. :D She's definitely a big picture girl, so she might appreciate being allowed to read and get the meaning of stories again for a time without translating word for word. Don't know how she does it :confused:, but it drives me up the wall! :tongue_smilie:

Yes, the structure of FF really appeals to *me*. I like that they give you the list of what to do for recitation, and knowing what we will do each day of the week.

I didn't make my dd translate word for word either, and like you I can't do that. She just gets it.

Heather

So, this morning I think I'm leaning toward option 2. I printed out the first two tests which cover chapters 1-4 and 5-8, and I'm thinking I'll have her take those and see what happens. I also noticed that Ms. Drown is continuing to put up video lessons and has up through chapter 9 so I could use those to aid in the review process.

Any thoughts?

• 10 months later...