Menu

All About Spelling question

AngelaC

For those of you who've used this, it looks so time intense for the parent. I have a child that just doesn't get any spelling program we've used (and we've used a bunch!) but before I go and buy yet another one, I want to know just what I'm getting myself into!

I try to train my children to work independently as they get older, but for this child, it is time to put some extra time into spelling.

Their website indicates that 15-20 minutes a day is about average. Would you agree with this?

In the beginning there is a lot of teacher stuff...cutting! After that, we spend about 15 minutes a day, 4 days a week on it.

We break each lesson up into 2 days. I teach the skill and we do the spelling words (he writes them because he hates using the tiles to spell) on the first day. And then I dictate the phrases on the second day.

It's really pretty easy as far as teaching goes. It is laid out for you.

We really like this program.

Ditto! The cutting is intensive. A friend of mine used a paper cutter - smart.

We only spend 10-15 minute per day.

Each Chapter takes us about a week. My Ker and 2nd grader do the following sched:

Chapter X

Introduce New Information- 1 day.

Words on Magnetic Board -1 day.

Words on Paper - 1 day

4-6 Sentences or Phrases -1 day

4-6 Sentences or Phrases - 1 day

My 5th grader has done 2-3 chapters per week. This has mostly been foundational review for him.

I haven't found it to be time intensive at all, once I got the prep done. I used a paper cutter for all the cards too- highly recommend that! Most of level one we did one lesson per day, but then my kiddos were 7 and 10. It was review for the older one, but it never took more than 20 minutes per day for both. I'd spend a little extra time with my younger one if she needed it. Now in level two we'll probably take two days per lesson, but just to make sure it "sticks" for my now 8yo.

generally introduce new concept and practice spelling with tiles the first day;

practice spelling words on dry erase board on day 2 after reviewing;

write dictation phrases on day 3 again after reviewing.

my 7yo has a pretty short attention span so we try to keep it to 5-10 minutes each day.

hope that helps.

This is so helpful. I like it that you all seem to agree:

1) It does take time at first to get it ready and

2) It really does only take 15-20 minutes per day

Thanks for your help. I am going to now immerse myself in that website . . .